Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo! Im playing a Berg Larsen SMS 2 105 and im intressed to try something new. Its not that i not like my berg larsen it would just be fun to try some other ones. Do you guys have any tips on good mouthpieces for Funk/soul?
Im looking for something with big volym and sound.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,220 Posts
Do you guys have any tips on good mouthpieces for Funk/soul?
Im looking for something with big volume and sound.
I'll just list some tenor pieces that I own and know from experience are great for the purpose you mention; 'big volume and sound,' and equally important, play very well (all are HR with tip size 120-125, although the PPT also comes in metal):

PPT (Pete Thomas)
10mFan Black Widow
RPC 120B (Ron Cuelho)

No doubt there are other good mpcs in this category, but these three really stand out for me. They are versatile as well; not just 'one trick ponies.'

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Do you have any decent music shops in your area?

·
Registered
353 Posts
A Lawton would be a possibility. E.g. a 7 or a 7*B.
The B and BB models are brighter than the ones with just numbers.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,313 Posts
I'll just list some tenor pieces that I own and know from experience are great for the purpose you mention; 'big volume and sound,' and equally important, play very well (all are HR with tip size 120-125, although the PPT also comes in metal):
The only metal PPT at the moment is solid sterling silver. We are about to bring out a new specially developed version made from a hard rubber and bronze composite. so a bit of both.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,220 Posts
We are about to bring out a new specially developed version made from a hard rubber and bronze composite. so a bit of both.
HR & bronze; should be fun to see what the debaters on material vs design have to say on that! :)

One thing for certain, the PPT is a great design so it will be an excellent mpc in any case.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts