Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so as you already know I am trying out for drum major I was just wondering if anyone can give me any tips sense I'm going up against 4 upper classmen?

G

·
Hey Hotspur !

Trying out for Drum Major now is a good thing even if you're not picked this time.
Prepare yourself , and above all else, be confident !
Act like you belong there, but don't over do it either.

I tried out going into my junior year, and made assistant. Beating out
an upper classman. I believe a lack of confidence on my competitors
part went a long way towards my being selected. The Band director
had a history of selecting upper classman first, but I did everything as
well as I could, and my competitor didn't. In the end, that's all you can do.
The following year I made Drum Major, and my experience as assistant
pretty much sealed the deal for me.

Even though you have more time to accomplish this goal, give it a solid
effort today , and perhaps you'll make it today ! No time like the present !
I had people telling me I wouldn't be picked, but I didn't let them get me down !
I believed I could, and it showed in my effort ! Confidence !!!!

Even if you don't succeed now ,by trying out today, will help you even more tomorrow !

Tear it up , make it happen !
Toobz

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
Suck up to the director.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Confidence got it. I'm up against 4 seniors and a junior and I'm a sophmore. I'm the only guy tryin out I dont know why though. I dont know what to do about a problem with a group of people they are all laughing and saying if I become drum major that they wont listen to me. I know I'm thinking to far head and that this all depends on whether or not I make drum major I'm just sayin it is concerning to hear that someone would not listen to you when you could be leading them someday, maybe.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Martinman said:
Suck up to the director.
No thanks I dont want his choice to be based on how much he likes someone. I would rather have his choice be based on skill and how well someone performs. I want the betterment of the band and maybe bring back the years of being Grand Champs.

G

·
Hotspur said:
Confidence got it. I'm up against 4 seniors and a junior and I'm a sophmore. I'm the only guy tryin out I dont know why though. I dont know what to do about a problem with a group of people they are all laughing and saying if I become drum major that they wont listen to me. I know I'm thinking to far head and that this all depends on whether or not I make drum major I'm just sayin it is concerning to hear that someone would not listen to you when you could be leading them someday, maybe.
I understand your fear. The first time I got up in front of the band, it was
very nerve wracking. However, if you show you're serious and demand respect,
they will eventually fall in line. This can be a fine line to walk.
When your up front, you have to project a no-nonsense attitude, but
don't try to be that way when you're not in front of them, away from band activities.
Some people will defer to you even outside of the band environment, but don't abuse your position. No one likes anyone who is on a power, ego trip. You must also be careful about how you act when you are Drum Major. I remember a girl (Still know her name) who I once made cry, because I barked at her for not being better prepared. To this day, I can remember her and how she reacted. Long since having forgotten other names and faces from that time (1979). Being a leader comes with responsibilities. To receive respect, you must give respect. But don't be afraid, or at least try not to show it.

Now for being the only guy. This can give you a big edge, at least in terms of physical capabilities. Do you use a mace or a baton ? If you do, try to work up some moves that show speed and power. High school girls usually won't have the physical ability to match you. They usually will be smooth and fluid, but often will lack speed and power. Play to your strengths, I'm sure the girls will play to their strengths as well.

Good luck,
Toobz

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
709 Posts
I was drum major my junior and senior years, and I didn't get there on style, but on leadership, authority, and control. I won several contest awards, and the judges' comments were always the same--he looks fine and does the right moves, but why he's best is because he's obviously in charge out there. The band is following him.

Can you lead the band rather than just look good standing in front of it?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OF course I can lead the band and not stand there looking good

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Our band director doesnt allow us to use maces or batons I have tryed to get him to at least consider it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have never made someone cry while being a leader for anything

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
I'm trying out for drum major at my school too. I will probably make it. I hope. All of my friends have said that if I will make it, I will be the first guy within twenty years to be drum major at my new highschool. :D

G

·
Good luck Hotspur and Chuberry47, let us know how you fare.

Hotspur, I'm glad you havn't made anyone cry, I wish I could say that.
One positive thing that came from that episode, is that I learned a valuable lesson on how to treat people. It's made me a better person as a result.

I had a great time as Drum Major, I hope you two will enjoy it as much as I did ! Good luck !
Toobz :salute:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ummm, So I just heard that tryouts are now a full week and a video taping on friday and voting by the students monday, and further revue by the band director.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didnt make it. My 3/4 had quite a few problems.

G

·
That's too bad! We need more sax players at the helm .
Improve where needed, and come back stronger next year .
Think of it as preparation for next time.

Keep strong and have a good summer !

Toobz :salute:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I tried out and made it earlier this year. I'm hoping it will be quite a rewarding experience. There's always next year for you. That's how I made it. Tried out soph year, and didn't make it, but came back junior year and made it. :)

Set an example next year. Don't screw around during your marching practice, and always be the one to keep everyone happy and straight. Help out when not asked. It shows that you're dedicated.

Good luck at it next year, bud. :)

·
SOTW Administrator
26,236 Posts
clinty said:
Set an example next year. Don't screw around during your marching practice, and always be the one to keep everyone happy and straight. Help out when not asked. It shows that you're dedicated.

Good luck at it next year, bud. :)
That's sounds like totallly no fun!

·
Registered
28 Posts
drum major is a fun thing to do,

i guess i can brag alittle but i was drum major at my highschool the year we marched in the macy's day parade in NEW YORK.(highland highschool 2005) but it was a tough audition.

what worked for me was practicing conducting everyday in front of a mirror. this does two things:

1- you can look at ur technique
2- build endurance

one of the hardest things as drum major was not getting tired in the middle of a show or a parade.

another thing i tried to do was straddle the line between everyones 'friend' and a strong leader not afraid to call people out when they suck it up.

you have to think of yourself as a mediator between the directors and the band, you are on both sides.

good luck!

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
Hat implications?

Do you get to wear a funny hat? Bear in mind i'm asking this from a blissfully ignorant uk perspective. If not, i'd pass on the the whole thing.;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts