Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i love the truetone, but the only thing that bothers me is the pearl G# key. being used to the rectangular g# key, my pinky misses. i made up a free, non-invasive mod to widen the surface area of this key. i used a vandoren reed holder, scissors, and a box cutter to make/shape a key extender. i trimmed it down, cut out an opening in the back to fit the key arm, and trimmed the upper left corner to not interfere with the G key. then, i slipped it into the G# key.
i just practiced for a couple of hours and the G#/Ab notes on this horn were natural to me. the awkwardness is gone, and i'll play the truetone more often. i used clear packing tape to secure the lower opening and it stayed in place. it works, it's free and took about 10 minutes to make. if it get lost or breaks, it's easily replaceable. if i don't want it, i can slip it off and the key is unaltered.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,809 Posts
Ha!! Good Hack on your horn. Funny, before I read the post I eyeballed the pics & I thought "looks like a chunk of a Vandoren reed holder.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
I love it. Cool deal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts