1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,136 Posts
Sugru?

·
Registered
349 Posts
On the one hand, I wouldn't mind having my Bb extended so it's easier to reach it from C# on my 400. On the other...I really don't want to mess with my 400. :p

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
232 Posts
I agree with Soybean, Sugru- its amazing stuff, comes in grey too.
With my big hands my pinkey would overshoot the C# or just catch the outer edge and slip, yuck!
On my series IV, [Album] I molded it up top on to the G# and just slightly extend the side of C# key without touching the rollers,
let it set up- it could then be sanded down to exactly whats needed-
firm ,rubbery and doesn't come off until you want it too! I'll post pix when I'm back home.
I also used it for the risers on the palm keys. Wish it came in Brass color also

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Are you asking about modifying the key touch, or linking the G# to the C# and B?
If you just want risers or key extensions, I second (third?) sugru for that. Among other things I've used it to add 'railing' to the end of low C on all my horns, basically a ramp to keep my finger from sliding over the edge when I get sweaty, and that's held up nicely. [knocks on wood]
Don't be afraid to buy a few extra packs and stick them in the fridge. Trust me, you'll use them.

My '29 bari has a reversible mod for C# to actuate G#. Less complex than that Sax Pro Shop 'Aristocratification' as I shall call it, but as I recall it cost me $60 to have it done.
I can give details if that's what you were looking for.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
yes something like this. i've come to terms with my true tone pinky alto. but maybe its because i've been working on my selmer tenor whose keywork is post buescher buyout.
still i dont like the pinky keys. btw my buescher truetone is a series 4.

I like sugru but it more for a riser. I need the Bb key extended.
I agree that the side touch on Bb is easier than the low one. On my Aristocrat I always use that one - in a way I even prefer it over my Yamahas - but on my TT bari the old style is something I just live with. Make sure the roller is well lubricated and unobstructed because it is essential.
You could do a small extension with sugru. Nothing like the full surface on your Selmer, but maybe enough to give you something to grip just off the far side of the key. Might help if you have long fingers like me.

To do a full extension like what the Aristocrats... well I'll spare you the details. It's definitely doable, but it will be pricey enough that you might want to get quotes from a few different techs. Sax Pro Shop obviously being one but they are very expensive.

One way to potentially cut down the cost is to only install the roller to the B key, and use a thinner brass stock to machine the extension. One roller on the inside of the gap wouldn't make it any more difficult to use than a roller on each side IMO.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts