Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read in a few places that if there is a number "1" inside the chamber mold (under the table) of a Link Tone Edge tenor mpc, it signifies that it is a true 1974-79Early Babbitt Link.

Is this correct?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just looked at a new TE and it has a "1" in that location. I am guessing this is just misinformation.

But does it have s steep beak drop drop?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,376 Posts
But does it have s steep beak drop drop?
The mold number is for the chamber configuration. The only person who I know that has any idea what the numbers mean is Doc Tenney. He commented on this years ago but didn't elaborate for whatever reason. I think he feels it fuels these kinds of debates among collectors. To the best of my knowledge these manufacturers marks (1,2,3, V etc) are from the 80's onward.

3,315 Posts
Hi all,

This Otto Link Hard Rubber Tone Edge No.6 facing .90 has a number "1" on the inside of the table in the chamber. The beak is a steep drop beak

The Otto link on the left hand side is the steep drop beak as one can see

View attachment 65161 View attachment 65162 View attachment 65163 View attachment 65164

Also the shank where the mouthpiece attaches to the goose neck has thinner walls (2.58mm) than the more recently manufactured Tone Edge mouthpieces (3.81mm) .

View attachment 65165

Thin shank(2.58mm) on left and more recently manufactured thick shank(3.81mm) on right

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Maker
1,816 Posts
Hi all,

This Otto Link Hard Rubber Tone Edge No.6 facing .90 has a number "1" on the inside of the table in the chamber. The beak is a steep drop beak

View attachment 65161 View attachment 65162 View attachment 65163 View attachment 65164

No. The step into the beak on the "steep" ones is much steeper than that. And is 1979 "early" now? IMO the only "early" Babbitts that are exceptional were the earliest, with clamshell baffle. It's obvious when you see one what it is. Neither of those pictured is one. That said the ones with numbers in the chamber do seem to be desirable by some.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I agree with mfry, it is much steeper. I posted pics of my Florida in this thread for WarrenScottRobertson as an example of what it looks like.

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?224516-Otto-link-hard-rubber-shank-thickness

Hi all,

No. The step into the beak on the "steep" ones is much steeper than that. And is 1979 "early" now? IMO the only "early" Babbitts that are exceptional were the earliest, with clamshell baffle. It's obvious when you see one what it is. Neither of those pictured is one. That said the ones with numbers in the chamber do seem to be desirable by some.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Maker
1,816 Posts
3,315 Posts
The following are two pics of the baffle of my Otto Link No.6. It looks more clam shaped in the flesh but i think these pics sort of show the shape of the baffle

View attachment 65215 View attachment 65216

The following pic is of the more recent 10* Otto Link (with a No.2 in the chamber) having a slightly larger "U.S.A" font than the 6 Otto Link (having a No.1 in the chamber) having a smaller U.S.A font

View attachment 65217

And finally the 2 pics of measurements being the distance from the table at the base of the window "U" to the floor inside the mouthpiece. This has been done with the depth probe on a set of calipers.

MOJO says
"If the reading is less than .600", it is a more desirable Link regardless of when it was made. EBs are typically .580-.590. I measured a new vintage recently at .570". It was great after a reface. The regular modern Tone Edge measures .620"-.630" and sounds a bit tubby to many players."

View attachment 65220 View attachment 65221

1 - 11 of 11 Posts