Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016, The official SOTW Little S
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I know I haven't been prevalent on the forum lately, but I am need of your help.

For solo ensemble this year, I have decided to perform a duet with another good player. We are currently searching for challenging duets but everything we find isn't well...much of a challenge. Our band library is limited since we both play at a higher level of music that is available to us. We have searched the Internet with no avail as well.

My question is: are there any good, challenging, and notable duets for two alto saxophone players? We are both considered to play at the college level (all region/all state players) so any suggestions in the advanced category would be appreciated. :)

Thank you in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
Here are a few that should keep you busy:

Hindemith - Concertpiece
von Koch - Birthday Music for Sigurd Rascher
Lacour - Suite en Duo

and if you are feeling particularly adventurous:

Cockcroft - Slap Me
Engebretson - An Arc in Solitude
Lauba - Ars (2 sopranos)

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
This is really hard. Maybe too hard for high school.
Ah, but you haven't met our Little Sister yet. She eats nails for breakfast.

By the way BSG, have those university acceptance letters come yet?

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
Oi, BSG! Why didn't you update us on that essay you had to do for university entrance. I think I suggested you write about Bob Dylan or Wagner (ok i may have had a drink or two that evening).

It's upsetting for us old folks to burn up our few remaining brain cells giving advice and then not hear the outcome. Consider yourself told off. :)

·
Registered
529 Posts
+1 for Hindemith. Plenty to keep you and your friend occupied at your stage of development, and a good approximation of the typical all-state solos you'd run into (Heiden, etc.).

·
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for your input! We are taking these duets into consideration, there are a few we really like. I'll be sure to update if we choose from one of the suggested duets. :)

·
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah, but you haven't met our Little Sister yet. She eats nails for breakfast.

By the way BSG, have those university acceptance letters come yet?
I haven't been rejected anywhere yet (Clemson, Mercer, UNC Chapel Hill), of course the places I want to really go to I won't hear from until April (like Emory or Wake Forest or Duke). I will definitely update in the hijack thread. I've had some really great interviews with Duke, Northwestern, and Emory so far. I feel like a heel for being M.I.A. For so long. Senior year is definitely proving to be rigorous, that's for sure. I'm glad to know my sax family still accepts me. :)

·
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oi, BSG! Why didn't you update us on that essay you had to do for university entrance. I think I suggested you write about Bob Dylan or Wagner (ok i may have had a drink or two that evening).

It's upsetting for us old folks to burn up our few remaining brain cells giving advice and then not hear the outcome. Consider yourself told off. :)
I'm sorry I didn't update! Will you offer my late gratitude? :) I wrote about Dylan's album. I did some research on it and found out it would be a great essay topic. Granted, the essay limit was 300 words, but I was able to sum up how fascinating the album was due to the political tensions that engulfed the era and how his album was a form of effective protest. I really believe (from what I remember, I wrote the essay 2 months ago) that it was creative, what is what the admissions staff was looking for. I couldn't have pulled it off without your great idea! I should hear from the college I submitted the essay to in April.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
You could try John David Lamb's "Six Barefoot Dances." I haven't seen the score for a while so I don't remember the difficulty of it but it's a great duet for two altos. I do remember the first part does have a little altissimo but it's not that difficult. May be on the short side of things if you're looking for a longer piece.

Hindemith and von Koch are also excellent choices. If you don't have it already, check out Lawrence Gwozdz's "Raschèr International" album. He performs Erland von Koch's "Birthday Music for Sigurd Rascher" alongside Steffen Hass, soprano player for the Tetraphonics Saxophone Quartet.

And as a side note, if you do end up playing the von Koch, be sure to check out his Saxophone Concerto (there's a recording by Sigurd Rascher out). It's another great piece in the rep that you will probably enjoy.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,564 Posts
Gordon Goodwin has a great book of duets that are challenging at the suggested tempo markings.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
I'm sorry I didn't update! .
Thanks for updating now and for being properly grateful. :)

Go for the college with the best looking boys. Or possibly the richest. (That last remark is somewhat sexist, I admit).

Seriously: Good luck with everything.

·
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the suggestion Stretch, but the piece has to be classical. Does Goodwin offer classical pieces?

·
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We decided on Six Barefoot Dances. It was the most appealing because we could actually hear it before we ordered it (and we liked it), and we have the option to play barefoot. :)

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! There are still some duets that some of y'all suggested that I want to play in the future.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
We decided on Six Barefoot Dances. It was the most appealing because we could actually hear it before we ordered it (and we liked it), and we have the option to play barefoot. :)
Great to hear you decided on Six Barefoot Dances! It's such a fun piece (and is there really any other option than playing it barefoot? ;))

1 - 20 of 23 Posts