Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gf asked me to figure out what might be wrong with her soprano. Everything is fine until I try to play middle C. There is a feeling of air resistance when the note is played. All of a sudden, I'm blowing through a straw. No sound is made. Pressure/volume of air makes no difference. I'm baffled.

The pads look good and I have applied pressure to the relative pads thinking there may be a seal problem. Nothing seems to work.

Any ideas? Is something causing the reed to collapse? I'm headed back with my mpc, but I thought I'd ask you wizards too. :D

·
Forum Contributor 2016, The official SOTW Little S
5,472 Posts
I'm far from an expert on the mechanism of a sax, but perhaps one of the keys got disconnected from the wires? I just looked on my sax to make sure, but when you play a middle C four things should go down.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
What brand/model of sop? While playing middle "C" there are only 3 keys which should close equally. The C key (the little key above the B key), the Bb bis, and the A key. The B key should be sprung up.

My hunch is that if all else works fine chromatically the adjustment felt/cork on the upside of the A key foot is not closing the small C key. Perhaps the material is missing or crushed. Hopefully no keys are bent. Take it to a tech. Should be a ez fix.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Press down on the "small C key" while playing, to see if that corrects it.

And yes, make sure the B key's spring is holding it up.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Is the B just below and the C# just above playing OK?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
clarnibass said:
Maybe you need glasses :D

Sorry :)
Bifocal specs were applied ;). Also - neither wine glasses nor champagne flutes made any difference.... well, they did adjust my attitude a little....

thanks for the ideas!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BobbyC said:
Is the B just below and the C# just above playing OK?
b is good, c# has a little resistance. I had forgetten until you asked. Thinking about the mechanics of this, it must have an obstruction at the tone hole, or the reed opening is closing the gap shut. I haven't looked at it yet to try my mpc.

·
Registered
784 Posts
My spidey sense says to check the pad under the B key.
Make sure it's not loose and partially blocking the hole.
It may only come loose when the horn is in the playing position.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
dhopson said:
b is good, c# has a little resistance. I had forgetten until you asked. Thinking about the mechanics of this, it must have an obstruction at the tone hole, or the reed opening is closing the gap shut. I haven't looked at it yet to try my mpc.
But have you checked the most relevant yet, as suggested? When you play C...

1. Does the B key remain open like it should?
2. Does C work better if somebody presses down on that small C key (above the B key) while you are playing, to test if it si closing properly?
3. Likewise the Bb key.

These three have been suggested with a lot of expertise and experience of this fault behind the suggestions. Try them first!

These are FAR more likely possibilites than a mouthpiece or reed problem.
Tone hole obstructions don't really happen on sax except for octave vents.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts