Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,526 Posts
Nice trip your 'Tripping', good blend, bass and midi and Mike's great tenor sound. Sleet and snow here today, so this was a nice ethereal piece for a rather 'out there' day... This could be a good film score piece for a moodful scene or such. Nice work. Did you chart this very strictly for bass and midi with tenor blowing over some basic changes?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice trip your 'Tripping', good blend, bass and midi and Mike's great tenor sound. Sleet and snow here today, so this was a nice ethereal piece for a rather 'out there' day... This could be a good film score piece for a moodful scene or such. Nice work. Did you chart this very strictly for bass and midi with tenor blowing over some basic changes?
Hey, thanks man. This was completely without form or changes. So Rob and I did the bass and midi track in one session and then sent it off to Mike who recorded himself over it. No chart. But it helps that we've done this sort of thing a few times now, usually with me playing piano. Mike knows what to do. =p

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Thank you Derek/Eugene!
When I see a file in my e-mail box from Ben and Rob, I just never know what it is I'm going to open.
I like surprises! lol...

·
Registered
545 Posts
You know, this is really interesting stuff. My drummer I think would dig this for sure. He's into a lot of glitch/DJ kind of stuff. Ive laid down a few sax and flute tracks for him before, but I never hear the end result. I think I need to start charging him for my ideas so he actually uses them! hahaha. But I dig it for sure. I like what youre doing on that MIDI controller. What kind do you have?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Hawaiian! As for which midi controller, the name escapes me. It belongs to Rob, but I'll attempt to describe it. It's a 4" x 12" rectangle of like 8 percussion pads and a bunch of dials. We used that in conjunction with Studio One, whose sounds these were, and one of its virtual "Instruments," which allowed us to map the pads and the dials on the device to analogous ones in the software and then mess around with it during the course of the song. If that makes any sense. =p

·
Registered
545 Posts
Cool stuff! Yeah, I get what youre talking about...i think. :) I do quite a bit of work with MIDI controllers, mainly to write hip hop beats, but it sounds cool. I usually work with either M-Audios or Akai Professionals. I like the M-Audios though because they feel better under my fingers.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We are big fans of Electronica, but also are pretty stridently pro-improvisation and free music, whereas most Electronica is programmed, as I understand it. So this is one thing we've come up with that works pretty well and combines elements of Electronica with our usual free jazz thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts