Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a couple days ago, I decided I would try to find a cheap old alto to start messing with, I have a cheap tenor, and play in a few funk bands (as a guitarist mostly, but I want to start playing woodwinds again)..

I'm at a couple pawn shops, and end of the day I pick up for $375, a King Cleveland 613 from the late 70s based on the serial charts I've found here. There was another "silver and gold" coloured King for a bit more, but I didn't think anything of it, so I didn't grab it.

After awhile I kept thinking about that other "silver and gold" sax, and think maybe I should look into it. Turns out its a Silversonic Super 20.

Long story shorter, I end up beg/borrow the extra cash, and picked up the "silver and gold" King, whilch was a completely reconditioned silversonic in the 443xxx (eastlake) range. all for a mere $450 CAD. It looks like its been re-lacquered though. but no wear on the pads, new cork and felts, no dents or bends or even scratches really.. even came with a 6* otto link mouthpiece.

So I'm wondering did I just totally luck out and get the deal of a lifetime here? or did I get taken for my $450 (I already sold the 613 to another band mate)? I know the ones I've seen on here are up over $2000, so maybe this shop owner had no idea the value of this model? (he also had a caseless yamaha student alto which he wanted $750 for)

Either way it plays really nice, just needs a bit of lube, and its beautiful, so I'll be holding on to it for awhile!

Edit - added a couple shots, not very good ones though.

Attachments

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
wow

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Very cool - Nice Find

Distinguished SOTW Member
If it's silver, it shouldn't be lacquered at all! Well, the KEYS will (since they're gold), but it's unlikely they have been RE-lacquered. Possible, but unlikely.

Now if you mean the silver may have been touched up -- I don't think that's going to hurt the value at all, as long as it was not buffed (removing base metal).

Registered
Geez, I hate you so much right now...

Registered
Some people have all the luck!!! Found a 283xxx Zephyr tenor at a pawn shop for $150 about a month ago. Plays great and has not one scratch on it. Pawn shops are great places.

More horns than I'm worthy of . . .
Hmmm . . . still one post; perhaps hasn't been back to collect his accolades yet.

Silversonic looks great, but my sour-grapes addition is that $375 was quite a bit too much for the 613; I got a playable one for $130 a couple of years ago. Wonder if he sold it to the band-mate for what he paid?

Distinguished SOTW Member
Hmmm . . . still one post; perhaps hasn't been back to collect his accolades yet.

Silversonic looks great, but my sour-grapes addition is that $375 was quite a bit too much for the 613; I got a playable one for $130 a couple of years ago. Wonder if he sold it to the band-mate for what he paid?
If you think about it, he's lucky the pawn shop owner charged about the same price for each one. Obviously he doesn't know his saxes. If he did, he would have charged $130.00 for the 613 and $2500.00 for the Silversonic. I'd say he did alright!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the info, I feel way more excited about it now that I know more about this model.

as for the 613 I sold it to the band mate for $250, but probably won't see the money since he's poor and really just wants to play. I've never cared about money when it comes to lending/giving instruments I don't need, to someone who will use it. especially if it means my funk band gets a horn section finally.

as for the relacquer, is there any indicators that it was done? I was looking at it more and I'm starting to think it could be original, but maybe just shined up with a cloth. I know work has been done on it, since all the pads, felt, and cork is new. I also noticed that one of the pearl bits is just a shiny white piece of plastic.

theres one stuck pad however, which I'm trying to figure out how to unstick.

SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
Do yourself a huge favor, and take it to the best sax shop in your area. Have the technician look over the horn and get whatever adjustments are necessary. You might end up doing more damage if you try to fix things yourself.

GREAT find! It's always good to hear about these.

- Saxaholic

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thats a great idea, I think its just the pad thats stuck, but its the body octave key pad.. so there might be some fine tuning that needs doing beyond my abilities.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts