Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
Joined
·
4,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure some people are already be familiar with this trick.

For those who aren't, you might notice it is sometimes hard to know a dent ball's exact location under the sax body. I mean when working with a dent ball on a dent rod, inside the sax. You can see through some tone holes, use a laser pointer, see by working, etc. but it is still hard sometimes. One method to know the exact location is to use a very small but relatively strong ball magnet on the sax body from the outside. It will magnet to the very point of the dent ball where it is touching the sax.

Where to get this magnet... probably possible from many sources but I use one of the spares I got with the Neocube (thanks to Gordon for this idea). Honestly I bought it because I thought it would be fun but mainly for using in dent removal for this purpose. In the end I like playing with it so much that in comparison dent removal became a minor and almost insignificant reason to buy it :)
For anyone not familiar with it, these are many small ball magnets that you can make all sorts of shapes from. Here are some I made. You can look for it on YouTube to see more from many others. Be careful there's a big risk of playing with it too much instead of working...

View attachment 26583
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
Joined
·
38,799 Posts
Be careful there's a big risk of playing with it too much instead of working...
and you could easily find yourself turning into the great MAGNETO
 

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
Joined
·
3,314 Posts
I use the magnet trick. I've also heard of mounting a laser pointer on a mic stand, but I don't want to be staring at a laser reflecting off brass all day.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Joined
·
2,081 Posts
BTW a word of caution - these tiny neodymium magnets are extremely strong. Nitai's neocube toy should not be left unattended as kids and other house pets might be tempted to swallow a couple of those magnets. When two of these magnets stick together with a bit of trapped tissue between them, they might chafe through the tissue. (IOW these magnets have to be surgically removed)
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top