Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just seen that sax.co.uk are starting to sell their private stock from the Tribute to Bird collection and have got the Hummingbird alto for sale at the moment... if only I had £8K to spare...

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,100 Posts
Just seen that sax.co.uk are starting to sell their private stock from the Tribute to Bird collection and have got the Hummingbird alto for sale at the moment... if only I had £8K to spare...
I also tried that alto, very nice. But do you think that is a price you'd pay for it? What made it worth that to you?

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
Just seen that sax.co.uk are starting to sell their private stock from the Tribute to Bird collection
I see that on their website, but I don't understand it. Why does a saxophone dealer have "private stock"? Why were they holding these instruments in storage for 11 years? Was it some kind of hedge against gigantic, unexpected appreciation in value? ("If the market price of these horns skyrockets, we want a least a small piece of the action! Don't want our customers to reap all the rewards!")

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I see that on their website, but I don't understand it. Why does a saxophone dealer have "private stock"? Why were they holding these instruments in storage for 11 years? Was it some kind of hedge against gigantic, unexpected appreciation in value? ("If the market price of these horns skyrockets, we want a least a small piece of the action! Don't want our customers to reap all the rewards!")
I'm guessing that the owner just likes horns and held onto them all.....now he's tired of them and wants to unload them. He would probably know that new horns aren't what you want to sit on as investments.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
I'm guessing that the owner just likes horns and held onto them all.....now he's tired of them and wants to unload them.
I could see the owner of a fancy restaurant keeping some special-edition Selmers around for 10-15 years and then deciding, "Eh, I'm tired of all these horns -- time for some fresh decor!" But for the owner of a store that sells saxophones to hold onto some expensive saxophones for that length of time for no obvious reason seems, well, "quirky" is a polite way to put it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also tried that alto, very nice. But do you think that is a price you'd pay for it? What made it worth that to you?
No I doubt that even if I had the money I'd really pay that much for it. My bog standard 54 is good enough for me :)

I'm hoping the sale doesn't mean sax.co.uk are running short on funds though - it's a great store and very easy to get to for me... probably too easy!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Someone felt 8 thousand British Pounds was worth it for the Hummingbird. Now the Firebird is up for sale.

Beautiful finish. I did not know the history of these commemorative horns until I saw the sax.co.uk video on YouTube this morning.

Not my cup of tea as the Brits would say.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts