Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you buy a mouthpiece or horn for hundreds or thousands of dollars from a fellow SOTW member, do you work out an agreement for return of the item within a few days if it is not as expected? (For example, there might be intonation issues, or the seller’s idea of a “bright” sound might be the buyer’s idea of a “thin” sound. Or perhaps the repair job isn’t as good as it looked in the photos. It isn’t hard to think of other examples.)

Or do you just pay your money and take your chances?

Bruce

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
B: "...just pay your money and take your chances."

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Usually the price you pay is universal across the board for that piece of equpiment. So you can usually recoup what the cost was if you don't like it. Which is usually the best part of going used.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,019 Posts
Generally on a private sale, you won't get a trial period. That's one reason why you get a better deal as the buyer. If you want a trial period, and a horn that is guaranteed to be in good playing condition, go to a reputable vintage sax dealer. I actually think that is the best way to get the best horn. But you pay a premium. ebay and private sales you need to get lucky as well as know exactly what you are doing and looking for.

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
My theory is that all the bad horns end up on eBay, if they were really good they would have found a buyer locally.
There's always a risk that is balanced with the price when buying on line.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
Usually you pay your money and take your chances.

That being said, I haven't had a bad deal on SOTW yet, and I've spent around $6000 since January on one horn and ten mouthpieces.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts