Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some recordings of Trevor Wye's. Anyone know of any? Anyone ever heard him play? Is he really as good as he suggests?

Any information will be good.

Thank you.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Trevor Wye was a clinician at the NFA convention I attended in San Diego in 2005. He had several presentations at the convention. In the last event he performed flute pieces with an opera theme. He came out dressed in various costumes, fitting the opera in question. He played arrangements of music from that opera and gave a commentary. He was hilarious. His costumes were really funny, and he played absolutely wonderfully. I was reminded of other musical comedy acts, like Victor Borge and PDQ Bach. He seemed to be a really likeable person, based on his stage presence.
Also, his instruction books are terrific.
Unfortunately, I haven't heard any of his recordings.

·
Registered
303 Posts
jmathesonjr said:
Trevor Wye's ... Is he really as good as he suggests?
Judge for yourself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r3BNoBD7J0
Have you ever heard anyone play a bicycle pump like that? And he built it himself.

Seriously, he's a great instructor - takes a no-nonsense, rational methodical approach. He also is a competent flute restorer and technician including metalwork. And he seems to be genuine helpful guy in the few times I've dealt with him personally. Finally his method books are some of the best - I recommend the spiral bound omnibus edition.

·
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have his books and find them quite helpful. I am not questioning his expertise as an educator or the kind of man he is. I am very curious about his own style of performance. The bios I have read indicate he has made NUMEROUS recordings, yet I can find none of them. From the responses I have gotten here and on a Flute Forum, it appears there aren't any.

I really would like to hear him play the flute outside of a masterclass.

·
Registered
303 Posts

·
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those are all I could find and Wye is only on a few tracks. His bio states he "has made several solo recordings" (http://www.trevor-wye.com/page14.html). Where are these recordings? The Handel Collection, in my mind, does not count as "several solo recordings". Both links in the previous reply are basically for the same recording. I am interested in the solo stuff.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
MRC01 said:
Judge for yourself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r3BNoBD7J0
Have you ever heard anyone play a bicycle pump like that? And he built it himself...
Very beautiful. Interestingly, I have heard 'The Swan' played on musical saw as well. This piece seems to actually gain from having a slightly 'flexible' intonation, and subtle sliding from note to note. I suppose cellists do it a bit too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts