Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm watching the first series of Treme again. (Love David Simon's stuff). In the second episode this trumpeter comes back to New Orleans to see his dad. His dad says something like, 'you can play all that stuff, but can you swing?' And the son says, 'you sound like Wynton.'

My question is - can anyone give any tips on New Orleans sax players that swing like h*@l? I'd especially like to listen to stuff that's really raw and bluesy. That sounds like it's played in bars, not concert halls. And tenor, especially; but alto would be good too.

·
Registered
525 Posts
In my opinion, based purely on my own experiences, please don't take offense, I could easily be wrong.

When I lived in NO in the 80s, even then there was very little Jazz going on. It was all rock and funk, with children playing in street brass bands, Maison Bourbon and Preservation for the tourists. When I played there in the 90's at the Jazz fest, there was no Jazz, Neville Brothers was as close as it got. I love that music, but it's not Jazz.

Sure, you can hear an authentic 2nd line in NO. But Jazz isn't what's happening there, not for a very long time. Again, I'm Atlanta based, I haven't been in NO for a long time. Got no plans to visit.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
That was one crappy show. I was expecting more because the Wire was so good. It has no focus on anything.
The storyline with the violin player was like the stupid “Nashville” show. I kept watching it thinking something would happen. It never did.

·
Registered
252 Posts
James Martin can swing hard! More of a modern take but you have to appreciate his love of New Orleans. Hell he pays homage to Booker by interpreting Too Much Blues. Can’t get more New Orleans than that.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips, everyone. Great to listen to those Bechet tracks — been years since I listened to him, and I'll certainly start checking out more of his stuff, during my practice sessions, and listening at home.

Bokagee: I know what you mean about Treme — objectively it's not as good as The Wire in terms of drama, but I like it for the setting and the music. I think that might be a whole other thread though. I'll just say here that it's fantastic in terms of introducing viewers to (or reminding them of) loads of great musicians and music.

JCam: thanks for the James Martin tip; I've never heard him and will check him out.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I was in New Orleans yesterday playing banjo with a trumpet player. There was a strong trad group in Jackson Square and some pretty good solo jazz sax at the Cafe Du Monde in the late afternoon. There seemed to be fewer of the folky players (which I can't stand even when it's good). I heard a nice group consisting of a gypsy guitar duo combined with a tenor sax and flute. They were rehearsing on a side street. You have be willing to walk around a lot to find the interesting music. For more info, see my post on the Music Police in this forum.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I was in New Orleans yesterday playing banjo with a trumpet player. There was a strong trad group in Jackson Square and some pretty good solo jazz sax at the Cafe Du Monde in the late afternoon. There seemed to be fewer of the folky players (which I can't stand even when it's good). I heard a nice group consisting of a gypsy guitar duo combined with a tenor sax and flute. They were rehearsing on a side street. You have be willing to walk around a lot to find the interesting music. For more info, see my post on the Music Police in this forum.
Was the Gypsy Jazz duo with Tony Green? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-sXo8lifHk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts