Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm sure this has been done to death here...but i always see threads about people who want to disinfect a used horn

Ive just realized i have a cold,and ive played a lot the past week

whats an easy and effective way to get the germs out of my horn???

(oh yeah,there will be some happy campers coming home from musikmesse!!!or maybe that is where I got it.......)

i actually had my first alto equipped with synthetic pads so that I could give my horn a bath when I wanted to!!!!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
It's a given...but don't forget to wash out your mouthpiece after each time you play with cold water, soap, and a mouthpiece brush.

·
Premium Member
26,253 Posts
The only thing about sax that's ever made me sick was my own playing:)

Seriously, we live in a sea of microscopic life, and very little of it can hurt you==unless of course your immune system is somehow compromised.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Clean your mouthpiece in cold water with a mouthpiece brush and a bit of soap. Nothing else you do will matter.

Swab out the neck and the rest of the horn after each use as I'm sure you always do -- it's good for the pads so they don't catch your cold.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,579 Posts
The common cold is a virus. It mutates fairly regularly. You won't catch the same cold back but you can catch one of it's mutated versions later.
If it bothers you that there are 'germs' in your mouthpiece just give it a nice leukwarm bath with a mild dishwashing liquid or toothpaste.
If you really feel up to it you can give it an alcohol/Listerine rub afterwards.

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,328 Posts
If you are worried about catching the exact same cold back from your horn, you should also worry about your own nose, your toothbrush, the handle to your front door, the book you are reading, the tv remote, your computer... better spray them all down with disinfectant so the disinfectant-resistant strains can breed with less competition.

Seriously though, you can't catch the same cold twice. Cold virii also can't live outside a body for very long.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
i actually had my first alto equipped with synthetic pads so that I could give my horn a bath when I wanted to!!!!
Crazy! A great way to get pivots and springs to rust, and to compromise the adhesion of the glue that is used in dozens of locations.

Do you bath your assembled sewing machine? Fishing reel? Clockwork watch or clock? Lathe? Workshop tools & equipment?

And hmm... I wonder to what extent the surface of a bath harbours fecal bacteria.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
...:) i never actually did it...but that was the reasoning behind it anyways....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts