Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been checking out the possibility of getting one of the Alto/ Sop RB bags and I've read that they aren't great in terms of shock absorption (makes sense). Obviously if they were dropped then the horns would be damaged, but can anyone tell me how good the shock absorption is on these heavy duty bags? For example, would the turbulence on a plane or a bumpy bus ride damage the horns?

I'm only considering this option because I'd like a contoured double case, rather than a bulky rectagular one. If anyone knows of any hard shell cases that fit the mold (yep, I went there) please let me know.

Cheers!

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,146 Posts
Used to have the RB alto sop bag, likely the best padding of any soft bag. The only time I used it was when the bag never left my hands....I would not have used in anywhere on a plane, any serious turbulence would be bad...much safer with molded cases. They are very well made, just not safe enough for my taste. Sold it a few years ago.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Used to have the RB alto sop bag, likely the best padding of any soft bag. The only time I used it was when the bag never left my hands....I would not have used in anywhere on a plane, any serious turbulence would be bad...much safer with molded cases. They are very well made, just not safe enough for my taste. Sold it a few years ago.
+1. Over the years I've seen many dented and banana'ed horns come out of these bags. Never on a plane.

Go big or stay home. Use a Walt Johnson or Hiscox case for traveling. Not sure if either makes a Soprano-Alto case though. Another alternative is to buy an Anvil road case and ship your horns.

·
Registered
818 Posts
+1 for Hiscox when traveling

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,146 Posts
I feel safer with separate cases, a case big enough for both might not fit in the overhead....

·
Registered
79 Posts
I feel safer with separate cases, a case big enough for both might not fit in the overhead....
I agree. I tour with a tenor, alto and flute. I use separate cases. They fit in any overhead. Stay away from soft cases when flying. In the event a nasty gate agent makes you gate check the horns you are in big trouble. I had a bari damaged this way once. It was in a hard shell selmer flight case made by bam. A bag won't stand a chance when the baggage handler throws your horn. I've seen them do this many times. Get a sturdy hardshell case for flying.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,766 Posts
BTW, if a gate agent tell you to "gate check" your horn, just agree so as not to create a scene. The gate agent will then put a tag on your case and ask you to leave it at the end of the gangway before you board. Once you're out of the agent's sight, simply rip off the tag, and bring your horn on the plane. The stewardess won't even notice or care.

I have used soft, leather gig bags for air travel for years without a problem. I think I ought to switch to a moulded case before my luck runs out.

·
Registered
79 Posts
BTW, if a gate agent tell you to "gate check" your horn, just agree so as not to create a scene. The gate agent will then put a tag on your case and ask you to leave it at the end of the gangway before you board. Once you're out of the agent's sight, simply rip off the tag, and bring your horn on the plane. The stewardess won't even notice or care.
I've done this many times, and it works. Unfortunately I have also had gate agent chase me down the jet bridge to make sure I gate check it. One even came on the plane and tried to pull my horn out of the overhead! I had to get special permission from the pilot to keep it there. The sad thing is that there are a lot of people who work at airports on a power trip. I always try to be as nice as possible, while standing in way that hides my horns from view.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,205 Posts
The sad thing is that there are a lot of people who work at airports on a power trip. I always try to be as nice as possible, while standing in way that hides my horns from view.
The other sad thing is that there are more and more people that abuse the carry-on privilege, such that people getting on the plane later don't have the opportunity to stow the correct-sized bag that they are premitted to carry on board. I don't think it's all about a "power trip" - they are trying to give everyone a fair shake. I don't envy them their jobs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for the comments and advice, you've given me some thinking to do for sure. Here's the thing: I've recently acquired a Silver King clarinet. I love the horn (even came with a beautiful Penzel Mueller mouthpiece), but the case is awful. The horn has so much moving room inside that its ended up needing to go the tech to get unbent, have keys unbent etc. I guess I'm trying to cut corners with the doubling case, but if anyone knows of a good soprano case that can be modded to work for the Silver King one piece metal clarinets I'd love to hear about it because I'm at a bit of a loss.

·
Banned
2,967 Posts
if its a straight soprano,with or without interchangeable necks,i have used 100mm plastic "sewer"pipe,(new of course),one end with a screw on fitting,the other an end-cap glued on...before i glued on the endcap,i glued some"8mm camping mattress" rubber in the bottom,so when i put my sop inside,the bell rests on this...
i wrap my sop with some thick material,so it goes in snug,then put my mouthpiece and a few reeds,neckstrap on top and screw on the lid....
i got some strap and glued some strap holders on the outside of the tube....
this same case i have had for over 15 years,has been on many trips around the world,and has taken my yss62r and a yani with twin necks....
this is still not damage proof,as when in a bus once,it came out of the overhead when the driver went over some huge lumps in the road,dropped the 2meters to the floor and killed my 62r....it was my fault really as i should have wedged it in place...
anyways,on normal use taking a few knocks here and there,it is fantastic and i have it with me today here in indonesia....
costs about $20-25 and some time to make it...get the bits from a hard-ware store.....
hope this helps if the soprano is not a curvy.....
cheers,philip from down-under....

·
14,286 Posts
mrgjungle: I have a Silver King clarinet with both barrels, too. The original case is sturdy but mine is ragged. So several years ago I came across some generic cases for metal clarinets (I recall it was on eBay) and bought one. It is much like a regular ProTec case (ballistic nylon covering a hard-shell) with zippered closure and additional straps. Admittedly the case hardware is cheap, but my horn is snug enough inside the case. Maybe you should do some internet searches for metal clarinet cases rather than try to make your own from a soprano saxophone case.

I agree with the others about the ease of handling multiple smaller cases rather than one larger double-case. Been there, done that. Double cases are double heavy, too. DAVE

·
1,596 Posts
Mike Manning cases

·
Banned
2,967 Posts
if its a straight soprano,with or without interchangeable necks,i have used 100mm plastic "sewer"pipe,(new of course),one end with a screw on fitting,the other an end-cap glued on...before i glued on the endcap,i glued some"8mm camping mattress" rubber in the bottom,so when i put my sop inside,the bell rests on this...
i wrap my sop with some thick material,so it goes in snug,then put my mouthpiece and a few reeds,neckstrap on top and screw on the lid....
i got some strap and glued some strap holders on the outside of the tube....
this same case i have had for over 15 years,has been on many trips around the world,and has taken my yss62r and a yani with twin necks....
this is still not damage proof,as when in a bus once,it came out of the overhead when the driver went over some huge lumps in the road,dropped the 2meters to the floor and killed my 62r....it was my fault really as i should have wedged it in place...
anyways,on normal use taking a few knocks here and there,it is fantastic and i have it with me today here in indonesia....
costs about $20-25 and some time to make it...get the bits from a hard-ware store.....
hope this helps if the soprano is not a curvy.....
cheers,philip from down-under....
heres my home-made case photos....

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I like your idea. I had the same one independently, but never got around to making one.

I suppose one could make it "bulletproof" if one took a larger diameter tube and designed an inner styrofoam core, divided in half, that would provide a cushioning receptacle for the horn.

Or provide a tapered inside rod that would stabilize the horn almost as well.

Another advantage of this case is that it looks like a drawings case, nothing that anyone would like to steal...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts