Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to take a trip soon. I am considering Ryan Air. However, I wonder if they will accept my tenor as regular, in-cabin luggage. I use a BAM tenor sax Cabin case. Does anyone here have experience with this kind of situation? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Isn't the Cabine the OP already has the smallest flight case out there? What other flight case are you thinking of please, Pete?

As it’s Ryan air I would either get a seat for the tenor or buy a flight case.

Most other air lines I would not be quite so concerned but you really need to check their terms and conditions re baggage 🧳

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,879 Posts
Ryan Air has one of the worst reputations among musicians. Avoid if you can.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Ryan Air has one of the worst reputations among musicians. Avoid if you can.
+1

google Ryanair music instruments, or something similar. their reputation is everywhere........and is not good.

Be very careful about allowing them to put your sax in the hold in any kind of conventional case. even a good/strong one like a hiscox.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,277 Posts
Isn't the Cabine the OP already has the smallest flight case out there? What other flight case are you thinking of please, Pete?
I easn’t Thinking of a particular flight case, just anything strong enough to protect the insyrument in the hold and survive the baggage handling. As for size I would have thought it’s best to be big though.

EDIT: just had a look and the BAM Cabine appears to not be a flight case, just an over the shoulder shaped case that would probably not fair very well as checked baggage. If a saxophone is to be checked in and stowed in the hold I would say it must be well protected in a proper flight case designed for the purpose of air freight.

Years ago I had one custom made from aluminium and plywood with 2" of foam inside. heavy but did the job on flights all around Europe and the US.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts