Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been given the opportunity to do a bar tour of Europe with a friend over the course of a few weeks this summer. I will be bringing my (newly acquired) Buffet SDA tenor, and am hoping that can find a good, protective case I can fit in the overheads on airplanes (I live in the States), and comfortable to carry as we wander the streets.

I have flown domestically with a mark VI in an SKB 450, but wouldn't feel comfortable travelling internationally with that case (there is some flop inside). The stock case for my SDA is in amazing shape, and I will be using that as the primary case for the horn when I get back, most likely keeping the VI in the travel case.

What do you all suggest? I have been looking at Winter cases, Hiscox, and Eastman so farm but suggestions are always appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
For tenor, the JW Eastman case works very well for me.

I use a protec bell pouch to store my neck and mouthpiece. The section designed to hold the neck holds my neckstrap and the reeds in a reed case fits snugly by the bell.

My only complaint (I have the matte red finish) is that it shows every little ding. I've had no issues as carryon on everything from a regional commuter jet to 757.

I don't have an SDA, but it's worked well for both a King Zephyr and the Ochres In play now.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
93 Posts
i looked at the eastman, and went with the BAM stage series... the padding inside is extremely impressive, and the outer shell does a really good job not showing dings or marks... i believe they branded it as a non-scratch material. either way, it’s an impressive case. not a lot of room in there, but i keep my mouthpiece/neck and neckstrap in the bell - i have my reeds in a reedjuvenate in the compartment where the “mouthpiece pouch” from bam would fit.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,129 Posts
You should also bring some small repair items like screwdrivers, plyer, rubber cement etc. because repair shops might be hard to find when you’re traveling. You might need to do some basic maintenance.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I like the Bam Cabine. Fits in an overhead compartment on a plane, holds everything you need, fits the horn snugly, very sturdy and protective shell, and has comfortable backpack straps for wandering the streets...

Andy

I have been given the opportunity to do a bar tour of Europe with a friend over the course of a few weeks this summer. I will be bringing my (newly acquired) Buffet SDA tenor, and am hoping that can find a good, protective case I can fit in the overheads on airplanes (I live in the States), and comfortable to carry as we wander the streets.

I have flown domestically with a mark VI in an SKB 450, but wouldn't feel comfortable travelling internationally with that case (there is some flop inside). The stock case for my SDA is in amazing shape, and I will be using that as the primary case for the horn when I get back, most likely keeping the VI in the travel case.

What do you all suggest? I have been looking at Winter cases, Hiscox, and Eastman so farm but suggestions are always appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You should also bring some small repair items like screwdrivers, plyer, rubber cement etc. because repair shops might be hard to find when you’re traveling. You might need to do some basic maintenance.
I usually travel with a small "oh ****" repair kit. It will certainly be with me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts