Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm holding on to a buddy's horn that I have been using for a long time.

I told him I'd check to see if it's worth anything.

It's an Evette & Schaeffer (by Buffet) Master Model Tenor.
The serial number is 7xxx.

The horn plays well but probably needs a visit to the shop since hitting notes below low D require quite a bit of push (in other words - played loud).

Can anyone tell me anything about this horn?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Using the info from http://www.saxpics.com/buffet/sda.htm
it seems like I might have a SuperDynaction.

Serial number checks out but mine says "Master Model" on the horn and does not say SuperDynaction anywhere I can find.

Also, mine is a dark golden color and not the bright yellowish that most of the pic's on that site show.

Can I say for sure this is a SuperDynaction Tenor?

Holy Smokes !! I just noticed the spring for the low C# is gone!!!
The G# has been closing the C#.

That's probably my notes below D problem right there.

·
Registered
275 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,404 Posts
If your horn matches the pictures of the SDA then it is probably an SDA. I, too, have noticed some nice SDAs on Ebay from the same period as yours engraved "Master Model." It may have been a transitional name they used, or perhaps a stencil like the "Opera" which is also an early SDA. In general, you can quickly distinguish the Evettes from the SDAs by looking at the low C pinky key on the right hand. Take a look at the photos from Saxpics again and you'll see what I mean. As you suggested, the use of dark lacquer is also evidence that you're holding an SDA.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine looks exactly like this one:
http://www.saxpics.com/the_gallery/buffet/super_dynaction/tenor/lacquer/92xx/c.jpg

With the exception that my color is darker.
Even the case is the same one.

My horn (actually my buddy's) has quite a bit of wear on the finish and the case is nearly shot.

I guess we have a winner, eh?

Any guesses what it's worth?
I won't be selling it since it plays so well even with a broken spring.
I was just wondering.

BTW - thanks for all the help on this.

·
1,404 Posts
BobbyC said:
Any guesses what it's worth?
I won't be selling it since it plays so well even with a broken spring.
I was just wondering.

BTW - thanks for all the help on this.
Probably $500-800 depending on condition and pads. Those Buffet stencils are undervalued. True SDA altos usually command several hundred more.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So it's considered a stencil even with the BC bell brace?

My buddy said I could have the horn because he's got a ton of saxes.
He said I owe him a beer - I told him I'd buy him all the beer he wants.
Love that guy like a brother.

I have to get my son's alto overhauled this summer after school is out and then after that I'll have the shop work on the tenor.

Right now the horn has a mish-mash of various types of pads on it.
Some with resonators, some with out.

What was originally on the horn?

I was thinking of asking for all metal resonators for the new pads.

·
1,404 Posts
Whether it should be considered a "stencil" is arguable, but either way it will not command the price of a true SDA simply b/c the name is not as recognizable.

The original resos should have been screw-in flat metal resos. I would probably put flat metal ones in there if you have it repadded.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Buffet Crampon and trying to figure out which one but I can't find any model or serial numbers stamped anywhere. The bell just says "Buffet Crampon Paris France" with a lot of engraving and the brace has a fancy BC on both sides. My dad bought it for me in 1971 and it was pretty old then. It came in an old brown zipper case that fell apart many years ago. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
This site helped me:

http://www.saxpics.com/buffet/index.htm

UPDATE:

Someone has recently brought up the topic of a true SDA vs the Master Model.
It seems they are NOT identical as a true SDA has an inline low C# pad and the Master Model has it's low C# where the Dynaction models had theirs.

It was suggested that the MM is a transitional horn that sits between the DA and SDA.

Another UPDATE:

Call me slow but I also just noticed that SDA's have a high F# key where as my Master Model does not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Enlightend

:cool: I finally found the serial#. So I know I have a Buffet-Crampon Tenor Sax #5049 made between 1957 and 1958. Now I could use an opinion. This horn is in dire need of a refurb, but I don't know if that would hurt it's selling value. Also, I love a good investment and if holding this horn for another 20 years would increase it's value then I'm all for that. What do you think?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can't see how a refurb (tune up, repad, repair, etc.) could HURT the value.

Why not fix it up and keep it?
I'll bet you would then have a great horn to play.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't play much anymore

I haven't gotten much use out of the sax during the past 20 years. I have thought about buying an alto again (what I started with) but the older I get the less "hot air" I have (my wife wouldn't agree) I could save it for the grandkids but would rather sell it to someone who would have respect for it's value and quality and not stuff it in a school locker or drop it off the bus at a football game.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts