Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! i'm auditioning for the New York Youth Symphony, and i need to play a large excerpt from the last movement of Mahler's 1st symphony (1st clarinet part), which happens to be written for a C clarinet. Does anyone know where/how i can get the part transcribed for Bb clarinet? I'll attach the full excerpt for you guys to see. The audition calls for me to play Reh. 6 - Reh. 12.
thanks in advance!!
-Phillip

P.S. yes, i'm auditioning for E-flat clarinet as well!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
Just play it up a step.

·
Registered
602 Posts
How much time do you have? There's music writing software that allows you to scan music into it, then manipulate it (e.g., transpose the Mahler up a step so it can be played on B flat clarinet). Sibelius is the program that comes to mind; once you learn it, you'll use it a lot.

·
Registered
403 Posts
...or use a C clarinet! This is one of the places where I dig to the back of my closet and pull mine out. Some feel it's "sacrilege" to transpose this part (I'm not that hard core, but....)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,184 Posts
If you can find a C clarinet to borrow or rent, use it. Mahler really intended to have the brighter sound of the C instrument there. I've played this work with two different orchestras, both times playing the 3rd clarinet book, which needs 5 horns (bass and Bb/A/C/Eb clarinets). The last movement is all on C clarinet, and the instrument is frequently in octaves, fourths or fifths with the Eb clarinet, so the brighter timbre of the C clarinet much better matches that of the little eefer. I know it isn't easy to find a C clarinet, but you should at least make the effort (in my opinion).

·
Registered
602 Posts
I think we need to keep in mind he's just auditioning for the group. He needs to play on whatever horn he can sound best, and trying to get comfortable with a borrowed C clarinet (if he can find a good one) is a tall order. I suppose he could play it on an Eefer, (good key sig!), but that might be a little weird.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts