Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, Im trying to understand exactly the relationship between different instruments and where they sit in relation to each other. Can anyone help us fill in the chart below. Im using c in the treble clef C5 as the piano reference point and then pressing c on each instrument and trying to work out or corrolate its position on the piano, have I got the clarinets right, I have no idea yet really where the saxes sit but would appreciate any feedback
Thanks Steve

C
B
A#/Bb
A
G#/Ab
G
Gb/F#
F
E
D#/Eb
D
Db/C#
C (C5 Treble clef C) Piano, C melody Sax, C Clarinet, Flute, Guitar,
B
A#/Bb Bb Clarinet
A A Clarinet
G#/Ab
G
Gb/F#
F
E
D#/Eb
D
Db/C#
C (C4 Middle C)
B
A#/Bb Bb Bass Clarinet
A
G#/Ab
G
Gb/F#
F
E
D#/Eb
D
Db/C#
C
B
A#/Bb Bb Contra Bass Clarinet
A
G#/Ab
G
Gb/F#
F
E
D#/Eb
D
Db/C#

·
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mate, no reason why I chose the middle treble clef c just used that as a ref point to start with I had no idea how it goes, so using your info Ill put this into the equation. Your helps appreciated, anyone got some more to offer as well

·
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks keith, I understand that bit but here comes the dilemma

Any Bb on the piano is a C on clarinet/trumpet/soprano and tenor sax

" is the Bb above or below the piano c is it in the same octave or is it in a different octave"

Any Eb on the piano is an C on the alto and baritone saxes

"same again"

Im trying to explain it and organise examples for my kids, but if I cant even define them then how can I possibly explain it
Steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.