Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I Czardas for Violin and want to transpose it for Alto Saxophone. For Violin it's in D minor. That puts me in B minor. 2 sharps. The first notes for the violin are A, Bflat, A. Therefore the first notes for alto are a 6th above that. F sharp, G, F sharp. Right?

I just want to double check myself. I believe I'm right, but no hurt in asking right?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yes, you are correct. continue your work.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
400 Posts
Listen to the Lukacs Tibor performance. Very authentic with the cimbalom and Taragotto. When I was doing fieldwork for my Master's Thesis, these are the kind of Hungarian Gypsy music bands I researched and recorded in Budapest.
Candy

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
prodigal said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLight
http://youtube.com/watch?v=NyInBTiGK4Y

....and he's doing it in concert F.
Which is the same key signature as D minor. Now, it doesn't really matter what key I do it in when I do it on finale because I can just change it with the key signature tool. So I figure I'll do it the way I am and then change it if I want.

How do you know he's doing it in F concert. And he sounds like he's playing the same exact pitches I have. I haven't played along though, I just going off of the midi player that Finale has. I guess I'll have to check that.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Well, I suppose I could be mistaken.

I am in a Starbucks listening on headphones with no pitch reference, but it sounds to me like he's playing in our (alto) written Dm, and ending in our written DMaj -- the piece ending on the tonic, D - which is concert F.

This would mean that the first notes the saxophone player is playing are A - Bb - A.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
prodigal said:
Well, I suppose I could be mistaken.

I am in a Starbucks listening on headphones with no pitch reference, but it sounds to me like he's playing in our (alto) written Dm, and ending in our written DMaj -- the piece ending on the tonic, D - which is concert F.

This would mean that the first notes the saxophone player is playing are A - Bb - A.

You're good. I checked what I had so far (which is right up until the Allegro Vivo part) and you're right. I played along with him and figured it out. I'm not going to explain what I thought you meant, ha but after checking it I figured out the correct transposition. Thanks. See, if I transpose it the way he does, I take it out of the traditional range for the alto and I can't play as high as he does yet so I'm just going to keep in in the key I have it in. ( Concert D Minor, Alto B Minor). That keeps everything in range and I"ll just have to change the octaves a bit later down on in the piece, but he does that as well. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
prodigal said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLight
http://youtube.com/watch?v=NyInBTiGK4Y

....and he's doing it in concert F.

Haha, I finally figured out, because I'm slow, he just played the violin piece, but changed the octaves where appropriate. the violin starts on A natural to B natural to A natural.

It's actually D minor. But obviously by just listening to him you can't really tell the difference between F major and C minor. Well that settles that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts