Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I'm trying to transpose Lisa, from alto sax key of C#major, to Bb soprano. After about four hours all I have is a head ache.

The first two measures have these notes. E#,F#, G#, E#, D#, E#,D#.

If I write those out as intervals I get: 3, 4, 5, 3, 2, 3, 2. (played in the middle register The E# is the 11th?), but I'm thinking it is all relative).

I can't figure out the E#, does it transpose to Bb?
The D# or 2(9th) transposes to the Ab.

The notes that sound right to me are A, Bb, C, A, F, G, A. But the F does not fit my interval pattern.

If the F is right and it is the 2(9th), then the 1 is E right? If so then the new key is Eb Major right? I'm sure that I'm making this harder than it is. If anyone could point out what I'm doing wrong I would be thankful. Mayho

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008
3,805 Posts
If the alto part is in C# (E concert), then the soprano part should be in F# concert.

Transpose all of your pitches down a perfect 5th.

Assuming your alto pitches are correct, the soprano should play A#, B, C#, A#, G#, A#, G#.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Merlin is, of course absolutely correct. Another way of thinking about it is that the Bb instrument's scale has one less sharp (or one more flat) than the Eb instrument's scale.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Tom: Unless you are doing this to increase the difficulty level (or playing it in an ensemble with other instruments), why don't you transpose the alto part into an easier soprano key? Yes, yes, I know - a good player could do it in ANY key, but . . . Rather than F# for your soprano, put it into F natural. DAVE

·
Registered
494 Posts
If the alto part is in C# (E concert), then the soprano part should be in F# concert.
Nitpicking mode on: The part is still in E concert but notated in F# for the soprano...

·
3,805 Posts
Nitpicking mode on: The part is still in E concert but notated in F# for the soprano...
Correct, of course. Thanks.

That's what I get for posting late at night!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,110 Posts
Hello. I'm trying to transpose Lisa, from alto sax key of C#major, to Bb soprano. After about four hours all I have is a head ache.
How do you think Lisa feels? :lol:

Which Lisa tune is this anyway? I only know the one recorded by Cannonball.

BTW, Hey Skirlin' Merlin! Where ye been hidin' laddie?

·
3,805 Posts
How do you think Lisa feels? :lol:

Which Lisa tune is this anyway? I only know the one recorded by Cannonball.

BTW, Hey Skirlin' Merlin! Where ye been hidin' laddie?
In Stratford, ON. I'm in my fourth season at the Stratford Shakespeare Festival. Check some of the threads I have about the show I'm working on this year.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your help everyone. Funny, it seems so simple now. Mayho.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts