Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I use to play clairnet in band all of my middle and high school years. I was first chair often and although I have been out of school for a long time (1989) I have decided to get a soprano sax. I have heard it's a pretty easy transition but wondered about a little more details. I have thought about getting a Yamaha brand sax but what exact model would be good? It will be an investment for long term and I will mainly be using it a lot for worship music at my church and playing out at coffee shops and for all around music ministry. What is a very nice and reliable model that is aslo easy for this kind of transition? Also, what kind of reed and mouth piece should I start out with as I have not played for many years. I know once I get back into it I will go 110%. Any help you can give me is appreciated. I play mainly by heart as I plan to write my own music as I do for my guitar (and songs to). I am going to get a silver color sop. sax so keep that in mind in case some models don't have that color. This will be the only sax I can afford so I want it to be a great one for the investment for the money. No more than $1,000-$2,000. Also, what other little extras and what kind of mic. would be good? OK, I'm open to your thoughts. Thanks and blessings. I will post more to keep in touch with my progress. In Him alone, Twila www.rskbg.com :treble:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,612 Posts
Twila said:
I use to play clairnet in band all of my middle and high school years. I was first chair often and although I have been out of school for a long time (1989) I have decided to get a soprano sax. I have heard it's a pretty easy transition but wondered about a little more details. I have thought about getting a Yamaha brand sax but what exact model would be good? It will be an investment for long term and I will mainly be using it a lot for worship music at my church and playing out at coffee shops and for all around music ministry. What is a very nice and reliable model that is aslo easy for this kind of transition? Also, what kind of reed and mouth piece should I start out with as I have not played for many years. I know once I get back into it I will go 110%. Any help you can give me is appreciated. I play mainly by heart as I plan to write my own music as I do for my guitar (and songs to). I am going to get a silver color sop. sax so keep that in mind in case some models don't have that color. This will be the only sax I can afford so I want it to be a great one for the investment for the money. No more than $1,000-$2,000. Also, what other little extras and what kind of mic. would be good? OK, I'm open to your thoughts. Thanks and blessings. I will post more to keep in touch with my progress. In Him alone, Twila www.rskbg.com :treble:
So you want a new silver-plated soprano to learn on, but also as an investment, for under $2000. That is a pretty ambitious goal...

I love soprano saxophones and I started playing my first around the same time I started playing clarinet. (I had been playing alto sax for some time though.) In my mind, they are not very similar. For example, if you play a soprano with a clarinet embouchure, it probably won't sound very good at all...

New soprano saxophones, especially in silver, are probably not going to be in your price range. Even if you find one, they will not be an investment. New saxophones, especially sops, loose value immediately just like driving a new car off the dealer's lot. If you want a silver-plated saxophone in your price range that will be an investment, you may want to check out some late 20s vintage Buescher True Tone models from reputable dealers. These may not be the *easiest* to learn on though.

I applaud your interest and desire in this area. I myself play sop at my church every Sunday. In my case, we usually only have a cantor, a pianist/organist, and myself. With proper intent and practice, sopranos can play in as vocal a manner as any saxophone and can be a hauntingly beautiful addition to a good sacred cantor.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for you advice and encouragement. I understand. What I mean is what is a high quality sax no more than $2,000.00? I don't have any intentions of ever reselling it. I just want a good sax for the money (no more than $2,000.00) and not something that'll break down on me all the time as I've heard about the $200.00-$300.00 brands do. I just don't understand all the different makes, I thought for sure getting a Yamaha or Selmer, I definately want to silver in color. The other stuff I just do not know enough about. Something that will stand through the test of time and that's easy to tune (I'll get a tuner to help) and that is beautiful in sound. I don't understand about all the mouthpieces either. Thanks again. Blessings in Him alone, Twila

Thanks ArnoG, I wrote him and am hoping to hear back.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
1,419 Posts
First of all . . . CONGRATULATIONS! You are me about 5-6 years ago. Soprano is going to be a great experience for you. My one warning is: DO NOT PLAY IT LIKE IT WAS A CLARINET! You will be tempted to put the soprano at a clarinet angle to the body . . . and you will find the intonation very difficult to achieve that way.

Now that the warning is out of the way, I second the Antigua Winds option (used in the $600-850 range in silver - go with models 586 or 590 only), or check to see if Phil Barone has a silver model. If you choose to go vintage (which I did after getting started on an Antigua Winds 590LQ), I would recommend getting a silver Buescher True Tone from a reputable seller like vintagesax.com or junkdude.com. I would also recommend Sax Alley as mentioned above!

Your budget is more than adequate to get a great soprano!

Best Wishes,

Fred

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
You could consider a Barone soprano.
They are Taiwanese made and branded for Phil Barone http://www.philbarone.com/
There are a few reviews here on sax on the web
and a few pictures in various threads as well as
a gallery here http://www.pbsaxgallery.alexthegeek.com/main.php

I put the gallery up as I'm trying to see all the different available finishes before I order a soprano or tipped bell soprano.
The idea was to get everyone with a barone sax to upload their pictures but only a fe so far.

I've just started learning soprano sax as well(two months back).
Coming along slowly but thats mostly due to lack of practice time, only managing
a couple of hours a week (30 min blocks on different days).
Play clarinet Bb and bass.

If anyone has pics of a barone sax and wants me to upload them for them,
email them or a link to me at alxxthegeek @ gmail.com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts