Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've received so much from this forum that I think it's time to give something back.

I finally decided to start transcribing songs. This is my first attempt - John Coltrane's solo on I Could Write a Book, from the Miles Davis Quintet CD "Relaxin' with Miles".
There may be note or chord mistakes, so please let me know if you find any, I'll be more than happy to share a revised copy.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
jlima you should transcribe the melody also and not just the solo. I always see transcribed solos without the head. A player should know how to respect the melody and this means how to play the melody. There are many ways for playing the same melody and master how to be creative with that is a must. Think about that.

Good job

·
Registered
258 Posts
jlima you should transcribe the melody also and not just the solo. I always see transcribed solos without the head. A player should know how to respect the melody and this means how to play the melody. There are many ways for playing the same melody and master how to be creative with that is a must. Think about that.

Good job
Remember, Coltrane did not play the head on that particular recording… and Miles's interpretation isn't much different from the chart that's already in the Real Book.

jlima, nice job. This is my favorite Coltrane solo and it's nice to see a transcription of it. The only thing I would recommend doing is putting a double barline ("||", not "||") at the end of each chorus (or a "Chorus 2," "Chorus 3," etc. mark) to show where a new chorus begins. Otherwise, great work. Looks like its time for me to print and play!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,384 Posts
One of my favorite Trane solos! Looks well done, jlima -- I'm looking forward to checking it out... Hats off!

Fer what it's worth: solo transcriptions already exist in a gray area in terms of copyright -- however, if a tune's melody is included, that unambiguously would violate copyright ... I try to avoid the melody for that reason.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Keep them coming!

I do see a point in SaxTman's remark, and I did think about it, and probably will analyze Mile's rendition of the melody more closely, but the goal of the transcription was basically to get the tenor solo.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxophonist Extraordinai
261 Posts
One of my favorite Trane solos! Looks well done, jlima -- I'm looking forward to checking it out... Hats off!

Fer what it's worth: solo transcriptions already exist in a gray area in terms of copyright -- however, if a tune's melody is included, that unambiguously would violate copyright ... I try to avoid the melody for that reason.
This is one of the reasons I never put the "melody" in any of the transcriptions you find on my website.... Nice transcription jlima.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.076000,-115.308748

·
Registered
1,008 Posts

My philosophy is to transcribe. I'm not intended to sell so... but i understand your point. I just do not agree, but respectfully.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts