Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! I am trying to figure out how to play this VERY simple song on the sax:

http://zs.ffshrine.org/ocarina-of-time/sheet-music/zelda's_lullaby_and_epona's_song.jpg

The 2nd one...

I am obviously a beginner and have no idea what I am doing at all. Can anyone point me to something that would help me to transcribe piano sheet music to sax sheet music?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much! I have searched all over the internet for information on converting simple piano sheet music to alto sax, and can't find any resources or figure out how to do it.

So how did you figure out that D is B and such? I don't understand!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
You have to move every note written for the piano a specific interval. For alto, that would mean moving everything up a Major 6th. A Major 6th is made up of:

9 half steps
4 whole steps + 1 half step
1 Perfect 5th + 1 whole step

Depending on how you want to think about it and how well you know your intervals.

You could also move it down a minor 3rd (and then move it up an octave if you wish). A minor 3rd is:

3 half steps
1 whole step + 1 half step

And actually, you'll have to play it an octave lower than the piano part because of range issues. So use the 2nd method I described (moving it down a minor 3rd).

If you don't know, a half step is the smallest interval. A chromatic scale is made up of all half steps. So for any note in concert pitch, you would move down 3 chromatic notes to find the alto pitch. For D: You would think (1)C# (2)C (3)B. B is 3 half steps below D so that is the note you would play.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist TSGT(Ret)USAF
1,395 Posts
CountSpatula said:
Seriously who learns songs from Ocarina of Time on their saxophone ;)

Someone who love's that particular song. From what I have learned, (from my 13 year old son,) Ocarina of Time has quite the following!

·
SOTW Administrator
26,251 Posts
I think 'Ocarina of Time' would be a great name for a band!

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
king koeller said:
Someone who love that particular song. From what I have learned from my 13years old son, Ocarina of Time has quite the following!
Well ok I admit the song "Zelda's Lullaby" is a pretty song but it's a lot longer than the 6 notes in that picture :( I use to try to play video game songs back in the day too I guess...haha...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Its mostly because I played the games so much that if I practice with these songs then I'll know just by ear if im playing it right or not.

Also they're good songs! Seriously, check out the Ocarina symphonic soundtrack. It's very good..

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
You still play it? Haha that's sweet. I started playing N64 for fun...but the dumb stick hurts my thumb (boo hoo :() lol.

Man I'm a nerd...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts