Sax on the Web Forum banner

Trane in a major motion picture? Trivia

7K views 90 replies 23 participants last post by  eidollon 
#1 ·
In what major US studio movie did a major character apologize for playing John Coltrane music by saying--"next time I will play better music for you":D

#52 ·
HOUSTON NONET said:
NO
THE BAR WALKING SCENE WAS BLUE LOU MARINI IN THE 1ST BLUES BROTHERS MOVIE.
LOU IS A TRULY GREAT WOODWIND PLAYER--ask Eddie Daniels!
Lou's R & B type work does not do justice to this great musician.
I owe a lot to this cat. He gave me a lot of work at NTSU-- his left overs.
One time he brought a new chart to the One O'Clock that had a tough piccolo part on my chair. I didn't play it well and he leaned over and whispered into my ear "you need to work on you piccolo". He inspired me to practice piccolo that summer for 2-3 hours a day and by the fall I auditioned --on a dare from a buddy-- for the piccolo chair in one of the concert bands and got the chair--- all because of Louie !!! Great Musician!!
Too literal.

#57 ·
Reedsplinter said:
Alabama, by Wim Wenders.

ALABAMA:
2000 LIGHT YEARS FROM HOME

Photographed by:
Wim Wenders and
Robbie Müller

Cast:
Paul Lys (hero)
Peter Kaiser
Werner Schröter
Schrat
Muriel Werner
King Ampaw
Christian Friedel
(friends)

Produced by:
Wim Wenders and
Hochschule für Fernsehen
und Film, Munich

Length:
22 min.

Format:
35 mm B&W

Original Language:
German

"The next short was Alabama, which was the first film I made in 35 mm and large screen. And the first time I worked with a cameraman, the first time I worked with Robbie Muller, who has shot all my films since then. And it�s again about 25 minutes long. It has more of a story, I think, though not one you could actually tell. You couldn�t say � It�s the story of a man who��. It�s a story and it�s not a story. There�s a lot of music in it."

" The film starts with a shot of a cassette recorder, and it has a juke box in it. There�s always music in it. When I was asked by some critics at a festival press conference what the film was all about, I said 'it�s about the song All Along The Watchtower, and the film is about what happens and what changes depending on whether the song is sung by Bob Dylan or by Jimi Hendrix.'" Well, both versions of the song appear in the film, and everybody thought I was pretty arrogant to explain the story this way. But the film really is about the difference between the Dylan version of All Along the Watchtower, and the Jimi Hendrix Version. One is at the beginning and one is at the end."

" The film is named after a piece of music by John Coltrane called Alabama, which is in the film, too. It�s more of an after-action film, or after-story film. The subject is death. You could say that much about the story: it deals at least with death. In the end, the camera is dying � not the man. Well, the man is dying, but you don�t see him dying � you see the camera dying, which means you see a very, very slow fadeout."
wow-- do they use Trane's Alabama in it?
But this ain't the movie--sorry

#62 ·
HOUSTON NONET said:
how do like the DV NY on Mark VI
I like it very much. It is good for playing softly also.
I find it less tiring than the Link. :D

Bernards20040 said:
Hey HOUSTON NONET
How come you have been a member since 2004 and have only posted since the start of this month .
He is making up for it now. ;)

#63 ·
Bernards20040 said:
Hey HOUSTON NONET
How come you have been a member since 2004 and have only posted since the start of this month did you have no net?
Enquiring minds and all;)
Since you asked
Stop playing again while trying to get thru a divorce --was my 25th anny gift from my wife. Then everytime I would Google for sax info SOTW would come up. I tried to register but site said I already had. Then i reqested my password but never got a reply-- guess because i use aol. Finally i found my password in old address book. So you might say i am making up for lost time.
Heck I stopped booking the Houston Nonet (paid the cats scale for rehearsals and gigs-- lost too much $ on that one) in March of 2005, thus would like to change my alias here but don't know how. Back playing starting a little over a year ago. :)

#64 ·
HOUSTON NONET said:
Since you asked
Stop playing again while trying to get thru a divorce --was my 25th anny gift from my wife. Then everytime I would Google for sax info SOTW would come up. I tried to register but site said I already had. Then i reqested my password but never got a reply-- guess because i use aol. Finally i found my password in old address book. So you might say i am making up for lost time.
Heck I stopped booking the Houston Nonet (paid the cats scale for rehearsals and gigs-- lost too much $ on that one) in March of 2005, thus would like to change my alias here but don't know how. Back playing starting a little over a year ago. :)
To change your alias you have to petition the mods. I think maybe Harri has to do it.

#65 ·
HOUSTON NONET said:
Since you asked
Only the mods and Harri can change your screen name ( I think)
My ex wife gave me the same gift for my 25th too;)

#66 ·
Reedsplinter said:
To change your alias you have to petition the mods.
Does that mean he has to, like, get a bunch of signatures?
I'm with you Houston. Sign me up. :D

#67 ·
Ok, "Moses," I'm in. Where do I sign? :D

#68 ·
gary said:
Does that mean he has to, like, get a bunch of signatures?
I'm with you Houston. Sign me up. :D
Nah, he just has to grovel, beg, and abase himself, as in:

pe·ti·tion /pəˈtɪʃən/ a request made for something desired, esp. a respectful or humble request, as to a superior or to one of those in authority; a supplication or prayer: a petition for aid; a petition to God for courage and strength. Something that is sought by request or entreaty.

That should do it.

#69 · (Edited)
I think HOUSTON should change his name in line with a conversation I once heard between a drug dealer and a French pothead. Viz:

Dealer (pointing humorously at pothead): WHO'S STONED?!

French Pothead: NON!!!! (pointing at stomach to indicate munchies) EAT!!!

Thus HOUSTON'S new improved catchy name would be WHOSTONED NONEAT.

OTOH, "Moses" is pretty blinkin funny. Thanks, DP. :D

#73 ·
HOUSTON NONET said:
now this a huge hint
an actor that's name is similar to what i love
Oh lord. Houston, that "clue" has just opened up what I would call "comic potential". I'll go first and try to keep it clean, (which is difficult because i thought of a terrific rude one). Erm..

Robert DONUT? (Donat)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.