Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really enjoying playing Eb clarinet these days and was wondering if anyone ever played traditional jazz on one?

Or if you know of someone who uses one in other improvisational jazz would you know post a link? I'm suddenly insanely curious!

·
14,268 Posts
I have a cousin-by-marriage who lives in the UK. He plays many instruments, including Eb (Boehm) clarinet in trad bands. I’ve played with him many times, there and in SoCal when he is here. He plays really well and makes that little clarinet blend right in. DAVE

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
You're looking for the old New Orleans master, JOHN CASIMIR (1898-1963).

Look up the following on YouTube:

John Casimir's Young Tuxedo Brass Band (1958)
John Casimir's Young Tuxedo Jazz Band (1962)

The claim in his Wikipedia biography that he "played Bb clarinet with the jazz band, and the distinctive higher Eb clarinet with brass bands" is not accurate: while on a couple of the tracks he recorded with the jazz band he may possibly be on Bb clarinet, on the majority he can definitely be heard on Eb clarinet.

Another, contemporary Eb clarinetist you might check out is the Australian, Jack McLaughlin. I've played many gigs on tenor with him in his NO style brass band. Search for "Jack McLaughlin jazz" on YouTube.

·
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the tremendous recommendations! I will definitely listen to those.
I play my Eb sometimes with my saxophone ensemble and I'm always impressed with how the instrument can speak so clearly and yet sound really sweet.
I'm no master at the horn by any stretch but I'm getting better with time of course.
It amuses me that it's an instrument i really have to play with my fingertips or i hit keys i don't want to. I guess that's how piccolo players feel?

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Coincidentally this video was just uploaded yesterday of multi instrumentalist Scott Robinson playing what appears to be a metal Eb clarinet. In another video from this session he plays great trad jazz on a miniature French horn.

https://youtu.be/DJiVMCiaWZk

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
In my post above I forgot to mention the Harlem Hamfats, who made a couple of hundred records in the late 1930s. Despite their name, they were a Chicago outfit, and are often called the first blues band. They featured musicians from New Orleans, Mississippi and Chicago, with a regular line-up of trumpet, clarinet, piano, guitar, mandolin, bass and drums, playing Blues, New Orleans jazz, and swing either under their own name or as backing band to various singers. Their regular clarinet player was Odell Rand who played Eb clarinet exclusively. He was a black man, a midget whose regular gig was playing for the Swedish Club. There are a lot of the Harlem Hamfats recordings on YouTube.

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,706 Posts
In my post above I forgot to mention the Harlem Hamfats, who made a couple of hundred records in the late 1930s. Despite their name, they were a Chicago outfit, and are often called the first blues band. They featured musicians from New Orleans, Mississippi and Chicago, with a regular line-up of trumpet, clarinet, piano, guitar, mandolin, bass and drums, playing Blues, New Orleans jazz, and swing either under their own name or as backing band to various singers. Their regular clarinet player was Odell Rand who played Eb clarinet exclusively. He was a black man, a midget whose regular gig was playing for the Swedish Club. There are a lot of the Harlem Hamfats recordings on YouTube.
Beat me to it Mike. Odell Rand is definitely an acquired taste!

·
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great recommendations. Scott Robinson sounds amazing on everything!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts