Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be a fair amount of cash to add on to the 82Z to make worth the same as a 1939 10M? The 82Z is near-immaculate, 5-ish years old, original pads, no significant damagae, plays fantastic, comes in Walt Johnson case. The 10M I don't know much about but I'm assuming original lacquer (over brass, not plated), in excellent playing condition, good pads, needs no work to play. I think the seller is asking $2700 for the 10M. The 82Z is not worth that much AFAIK, so what would make the trade fair?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,321 Posts
Id say a straight up trade is very fair.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the opinion Raphyel, I thought it would be pretty close at any rate. The seller said he thought his horn was worth more than an 82Z, but I'm not really an expert in market values of used horns which is why I thought I'd ask here. I will hopefully meet with the seller to try out the horn, and talk with him about how much he wants for it. It may be in better condition than I thought, so he may be asking more than 2700 for it.

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,212 Posts
I dunno.... I like conns more than most, but if you are talking market value - then that's another story.

I just did a brief ebay search on 82Z Tenors and 10M's and it seems while there is not any "completed listings" with horns that actually sold for the 82Z's I would say the following:

An 82Z in good working order should bring between $2000 and $3000. A 1939(ish) 10M seems to bring between $1000 and $2000.

Now that doesn't mean a 10M hasn't sold for $3K and an 82Z hasnt sold for $1500. But I would venture it is safe to say that in today's market a 82Z is worth more than a 10M.

In fact $2700 is alot of money for a 10M. On ebay the most expensive one that sold in recent history was for $1600. Even if it needed $1000 worth of work, it doesn't come to $2700.

Just my 2 cents.

Charlie

......now how they play ..... that's another story.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Can't speak to the value of the Conn but I saw a used 82Z at Junkdude Music just yesterday that was listed for 2900. The horn was in like new condition and had brand new white roo pads. Don't know if it'll sell for that much but Dave has pretty reasonable prices on his horns so it probably will. Brand new ones list for around 3700.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Yeah, I'd say he is the one that should be putting in boot.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,409 Posts
I love Conn's--especially 10m's but I also have a pragmatic streak!--probably a combination of creeping age and much horn flipping plus my experience as a repairer.
Dont do this trade especially at a financial loss, by all means get a 10m but not at the expense of your 'modern' 82Z-- a great horn---I think with the benefit of hindsight you may may regret it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts