Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
17,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently visited a nice tenor battle in Leiden in the Netherlands. Two big toned tenors Rinus Groeneveld and Wouter Kiers in battle, accompanied by a steaming Rock and Roll band (Blood, Sweat and Kiers).

Today I received some links to YouTube video's of that concert. Check it out!!!

- Slow blues featuring Rinus Groeneveld (Rinus got the Blues):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zz0jgcypH8

- Bar-scene featuring Wouter Kiers (big guy with the red shirt) and Rinus Groeneveld:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj3DMZ5NZZc
(at 2:14 you see Rinus playing a low Bes in my belly!)

Enjoy!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
Well Rinus Groeneveld is together with Hans Dulfer and their younger follower Wouter Kiers , one of the famous " Powerhouse" tough tenor around these parts. They have learned much by Big Jay McNelly who has been here often enough and played with them too.

This second and third video shows Big Jay at his best battling together with Gary Wiggins in a similar set , a club full of people .......and endless fun

·
Registered
279 Posts
Nice nice!! i shared the stage a few times (long time ago) with Wouter he is a really great player and a really nice guy.
Rinus Groeneveld is one of my favourite saxplayers in holland . tx for posting!

Greetz Marcus

·
Administrator
17,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well Rinus Groeneveld is together with Hans Dulfer and their younger follower Wouter Kiers , one of the famous " Powerhouse" tough tenor around these parts. They have learned much by Big Jay McNelly who has been here often enough and played with them too.
Hi Milandro, don't forget Boris van der Lek, who is great too in this tough tenor style. Thanks for posting the Big Jay links, always fun to see them back. Big Jay will play again with Rinus in 26 June 2011 in Keppel Castle in Laag Keppel Netherlands (of all places!), see http://www.bigjaymcneely.net/
Last year I played with Rinus on a private party. Big Jay was also there, coming in late from a TV gig with Martijn Schok, but he didn't play with us then unfortunately.

·
Administrator
17,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice nice!! i shared the stage a few times (long time ago) with Wouter he is a really great player and a really nice guy.
Rinus Groeneveld is one of my favourite saxplayers in holland . tx for posting!

Greetz Marcus
Thanks for your reaction Marcus. Indeed Wouter is a very nice guy, and his playing becomes better and better lately.

·
Administrator
17,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Banned
864 Posts
Now I like the Big Jay clips, and I might not only stay for the whole show but pay real money for something like that. I don't know what it is, but even though they're playing loud it sounds professional for what it is and more ear-pleasing than the recent tenor battle (in the Netherlands) you posted, which to be perfectly frank, bordered more on being noisy or something--at least to my ears. :bluewink:

·
Administrator
17,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Doc, actually I saw Big Jay last two years a lot of times, because he toured with Rinus Groeneveld and Martijn Schok in The Netherlands. They also recorded two CD's (>info<). On those live concerts Rinus took care of the better part of the tenor playing, which is not strange considering the age of Big Jay (who is still a hell of a performer).

I fully agree with you that this thread battle clips are sounding more consistant in playing and sound quality compared to the recent thread clips (see post #8 for the link). But, as also mentioned in the other thread, both battles where live (I visited both of them) much much better than the small camera weak sound interpretation of it that we are discussing here on SOTW. Still I like to share them, because for me (and hopefully for some others!) it's big fun to see and feel the power coming out of those (soundwise) poorly recorded clips :).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts