Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a gig last night that was amazing challenging - not from the music but from being sleepy. Friday bar gigs are difficulty anyways - work my day job, play with the kids, and head out to a bar starting at 9:30-ish. I usually grab some coffee on the drive to the gig. It can be difficult but during the show - everything work well. Last night - the sleep kept coming HARD. If I happened to close my eyes to listen to the other players - I swear I was starting to dose off - Standing at a LOUD rock gig, holding my Million dollar sax. I was so tired - I left my horn at the bar. I only went one block - quick U-turn and horn was in hand. Weird GIG.

·
Forum Contributor 2014, Distinguished SOTW Member
2,087 Posts
That's a sign of some serious sleep deprivation. If this happens regularly, you should get checked out at a sleep lab. Sleep disorders are one of the most common and serious undiagnosed medical problems around. Even those who think they sleep fine can have disturbed sleep that prevents them from cycling through all stages of sleep. The effects can include depression, weight gain, and heart disease (to name just a few). This is in addition to the obvious dangers like forgetting your horn, crashing your car (or Valdez oil tanker).

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Try naps man. I've started waking up at 7:30, going to bed at 12:00, 12:30 and practicing the whole day except on gig days hen I take it a little bit easier. I take two to three 20 - 25 min naps everyday usually after eating. The trick to not feeling groggy is to not overnap (set up an alarm) and drink coffee just before you lay down as caffeine takes about 20min to kick in.

·
Banned
864 Posts
That's a sign of some serious sleep deprivation. If this happens regularly, you should get checked out at a sleep lab. Sleep disorders are one of the most common and serious undiagnosed medical problems around. Even those who think they sleep fine can have disturbed sleep that prevents them from cycling through all stages of sleep. The effects can include depression, weight gain, and heart disease (to name just a few). This is in addition to the obvious dangers like forgetting your horn, crashing your car (or Valdez oil tanker).
Could it also be a sign of just getting older? :cry: In any event, you might start a regular exercise regimen (in case you aren't doing so already) to increase your stamina and build up those endorphins.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,212 Posts
I used to get home from my day job around 4pm, eat, nap 'til 6:30, shower, off to gig.
Not much, but it does help.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
You probably played great...The more distracted I am - the better my live playing is. I don't usially screw up until I start thinking about what I'm doing.

·
Forum Contributor 2014, Distinguished SOTW Member
2,087 Posts
Could it also be a sign of just getting older? :cry: In any event, you might start a regular exercise regimen (in case you aren't doing so already) to increase your stamina and build up those endorphins.
Actually, the older you get, the less sleep you require. Exercise is a good idea in that it does promote good sleep, but falling asleep during a gig is either a sign of either an acute condition (e.g., staying up all night the hight before) or something chronic (e.g., sleep apnea).

·
Banned
864 Posts
Actually, the older you get, the less sleep you require. Exercise is a good idea in that it does promote good sleep, but falling asleep during a gig is either a sign of either an acute condition (e.g., staying up all night the hight before) or something chronic (e.g., sleep apnea).
...Or perhaps just a sign of boredom from playing one two many run throughs of Mustang Sally with the boys?

But yes, I know that; however, the older you get the harder it is generally to stay up late, though it becomes easier to get up at 5 am due to reduced levels of melatonin.

So are you a doctor or health care worker of any kind? You sound pretty assured of your expertise on this subject.

·
Banned
864 Posts
So is this a genuine question? You sound like you're trolling again.
LOL, I've got a computer and a keyboard too so I can just as easily label you that--though I know you're a pig so I won't. :bluewink: It's like calling somone racist these days. When the charge is overused and without merit it starts to become meaningless noise.

BTW isn't it time for your nap? :bluewink: As for myself, when you find yourself arguing about sleep habits of the eldery on a sax board you know it's time to get busy on something more constructive.

Ciao

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Without merit? Are you kidding me? I'm not the one trolling every other thread and sending aggressive and insulting PMs to members of this board.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Tony? I remember you. I played a few shows with you in Rochester. You also subbed in for me some with the Dukes.......

Come to think of it, there is at least one story about you being unconscious on a road trip!!!!

That was when you were younger and more foolish.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kfoster - The one time I drink on a gig - that story just won't go away. And that was AFTER the gig. :)

I think everyone is right - new job, change of my sleep schedule. I don't think it's anything serious. - Simply put - I got up a 4AM Friday and end the gig at 2AM the Sat. That's along time to be awake. I'll have to come up with a nap schedule. Might even have to hire a baby-sitter to handle the kids. You are ALL correct......

·
Registered
8,034 Posts
...Or perhaps just a sign of boredom from playing one two many run throughs of Mustang Sally with the boys
That's probably it. Believe it or not drinking helps fight the boredom of my bar gigs. Luckily I do the early restaurant gigs and try to avoid the late gigs as much as I can.

·
Registered
406 Posts
LOL, I've got a computer and a keyboard too so I can just as easily label you that--though I know you're a pig so I won't. :bluewink:
Not really sure how that works...

- J

1 - 16 of 16 Posts