Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You’ll be relieved no doubt to know that I’m not calling a Bossa this month🤭 instead I thought a blues with a difference in terms of the head and the changes. I hope you’ll enjoy making something out of this one by Ron Carter originally recorded by Miles.

Lots of backing tracks available on YT as per my example above or make your own of course😎

As always I’m delighted to host the TOTM and I will listen to each and every track uploaded here and offer whatever I can in terms of feedback.

I do hope you’ll find time to have a crack at this one and I look forward to hearing your versions.

Best as always,

Alex😎

· Registered
1,993 Posts
Very cool tune and I'm happy to give it a try in the next few days! And don't worry about the bossa, I've added one in the beginner section ;)

· Registered
1,993 Posts
Of course one could try Eighty One as a bossa🤭
everything could need some bossafication ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Alex Nyman

· Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Curse you! The sparse melody is presenting rhythmic challenges that WILL, in fact, drive me to the bottle (not necessarily a bad thing). This is utter crap, but it's my starting point.

Eighty-One (more like Seventy-Nine)
That’s a great start Thom. Yes the off beat hits are a bit late but let’s not nit pick as the rest of the head is fine. Really strong soloing with a lovely call and answer phrase in the first solo chorus😎 the soloing is all in the harmonic range that makes sense to me and the tuning is great too. This track is kind of hard to generate some ‘heat’ on as the backing track is kind of one dimensional in terms of dynamics so even better that you cook up your own heat over it. Fabulous start to this months thread and I really appreciate you sharing your track. If this is the ‘crap’ one then bring on the best🙏🙏🙏

· Registered
1,166 Posts

· Registered
1,166 Posts
Alex, something wrong with the file access....Oops, we couldn’t find that track.
It's fine in the link on my reply :)
Great brass section. Love sop. You push us to play this modal thing... :)
Finally, we'll play some blues.

• Love
Reactions: Alex Nyman

· Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alex, something wrong with the file access....Oops, we couldn’t find that track.
[/QUOTE
It's fine in the link on my reply :)
Great brass section. Love sop. You push us to play this modal thing... :)
Finally, we'll play some blues.
Glad to hear the link is working Michael thank you ❤🙏

· Registered
879 Posts

· Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is awesome, Alex! I'm on my third listen and really enjoying it :D You have given me some courage and inspiration. I have been afraid to tackle this one but I'm going to see if I can come up with something presentable.
Thank you Blaine. As per our email exchange you’ll hear I didn’t stray far from the basic changes even though the pianist on the backing track was doing his best McCoy Hancock etc thing it’s still a blues no matter what. I actually really like the head and it makes me me think of how new and radical that would have sounded all those years ago. Very cool stuff. Looking forward to your take❤🙏😎

· Registered
1,166 Posts
81? Next March I have to play "When I am 64" :) Sure will do something.

81 is a fun tune to play. So many things could be done. I guess this one could easily go to Guinness book for smallest quantity of the musical notes in the melody :)
Am I mistaken in this statement?

Alex, would I get at least 60 of 100 from you? Honestly, I didn't try hard :). Just quick big bull... that came to my mind :).

· Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That puts me in mind of Wayne Shorter 1000x more than my effort. There’s quite a bit of verb on it but I’m not in the slightest bothered by it. Your hits are on the money and I love the harmony lines both in the head and the solo❤❤❤ 60 out of 100? No you go to the top of the class😇

· Registered
1,166 Posts
That puts me in mind of Wayne Shorter 1000x more than my effort. There’s quite a bit of verb on it but I’m not in the slightest bothered by it. Your hits are on the money and I love the harmony lines both in the head and the solo❤❤❤ 60 out of 100? No you go to the top of the class😇
Ha ha ha... I stop here and go to listen your take again...
Your impro is a SONG! So beautiful. I kind of made a walk in a young forest on a sunny day.

Wayne Shorter... love him. Sometimes his music makes me scary :)
I mentioned here on forum that once I saw him with his buddy Mr. Hancock in duo.
Only two spotlights, dark hall, dark scene... "crazy" piano harmony, "crazy" soprano impros.
In 15 min the hall became half empty. It took some patience to follow all that during a show. I saw Herbie few times in different presentations. :)
Alex, thank you very much for encouraging...

· Registered
879 Posts
OK ... I've been putting this one off because I just have never felt comfortable with trying to play "free" or "outside" or whatever it's called. I have always appreciated listening when it's done well but for me, playing outside always feels like I'm just randomly wiggling my fingers and honking loudly :ROFLMAO:

Here is my attempt at playing this tune and I'm trying to find a balance between melodic lines and contrast/dissonance (i.e. what's the strangest note I can play over this chord?)
https://soundcloud.com/user-460666353%2Feighty-one-1

· Registered
1,166 Posts
OK ... I've been putting this one off because I just have never felt comfortable with trying to play "free" or "outside" or whatever it's called. I have always appreciated listening when it's done well but for me, playing outside always feels like I'm just randomly wiggling my fingers and honking loudly :ROFLMAO:

Here is my attempt at playing this tune and I'm trying to find a balance between melodic lines and contrast/dissonance (i.e. what's the strangest note I can play over this chord?) As usual I don't make it to the end and only dip my toes in the water before fading out and making a hasty retreat.
https://soundcloud.com/user-460666353%2Feighty-one
Oh, God... that brass section... out of mind :)

• Love
Reactions: blaine hoopes

· Registered
1,166 Posts
in my track I did it with 3 altos... could add more :) I could add EWI with really fancy sounds. But stopped on what it is...
I think what is important is the spice and chord's note choice.
In your case I was blown away by expressivness and taste. How many tenors you have in your "brass section" :) ?
This tune is really allows to create amazing wawes, I guess...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts