21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Reactions: sax1st and randulo

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
We play this with saxophone quartet. Been more then a year now and still waiting to start back again. I made this youtube film when i was bored sometime ago... No improvisation just the melody and a written chorus...

Nice Music and hardware!

Reactions: sax1st

·
Registered
65 Posts
First exercise of the morning. Too early to make "noise".
https://soundcloud.com/randulo%2Fcanteloupe-yds-150
Beautiful. Was that on the wind controller? If the so, what sound and module were you using? I like it!

(Oops—just noticed the “YDS” in the title so my first question is answered. Nicely done—still curious to learn if that’s a built-in sound or external one; I ise a WX7 and WX5 mainly with a Patchman chip VL70-m but just got Respiro and am enjoying that as well.)

·
Registered
701 Posts
Here is my first attempt:

Ciao and keep you safe

Reactions: sax1st and tisinut

·
Registered
alto, soprano, YDS-150, WX5
243 Posts
Beautiful. Was that on the wind controller? If the so, what sound and module were you using? I like it!

(Oops—just noticed the “YDS” in the title so my first question is answered. Nicely done—still curious to learn if that’s a built-in sound or external one; I ise a WX7 and WX5 mainly with a Patchman chip VL70-m but just got Respiro and am enjoying that as well.)
Many thanks! It's an internal sound, one of the two decent ones (the other is blues harmonica) played through USB: no key clicks and an even level, no mic problems.

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,775 Posts
Wow this thread is taking off quick! Glad to see so much activity, can't wait to listen to all these takes today.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Many thanks! It's an internal sound, one of the two decent ones (the other is blues harmonica) played through USB: no key clicks and an even level, no mic problems.
It’s a nice sound; its really only the attack that gives it away as a wind controller, and your playing is great. I’ve used the WX7/VL combo for performances and there are a few sounds that work well (flute and some brass) but sax sounds, even with SWAM or similar sampled approaches, just don’t sound good to my ear. Anyway, great use of the Yamaha and a nice reminder of how useful wind controllers can be in the right context.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Here is my first attempt:

Ciao and keep you safe
Yeh Guido. Very nice. You kept the flow going and made the changes. Lots of rhythmic playing which can make just using one note interesting. Your version of the head was interesting too. Nice solid sound. And some very nice dynamics which helps to create an ebb and flow to the solo. Thank you as always for sharing. A great addition to this months TOTM.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Yeh Guido. Very nice. You kept the flow going and made the changes. Lots of rhythmic playing which can make just using one note interesting. Your version of the head was interesting too. Nice solid sound. And some very nice dynamics which helps to create an ebb and flow to the solo. Thank you as always for sharing. A great addition to this months TOTM.
Thanks Alex

·
Registered
alto, soprano, YDS-150, WX5
243 Posts
It’s a nice sound; its really only the attack that gives it away as a wind controller, and your playing is great. I’ve used the WX7/VL combo for performances and there are a few sounds that work well (flute and some brass) but sax sounds, even with SWAM or similar sampled approaches, just don’t sound good to my ear. Anyway, great use of the Yamaha and a nice reminder of how useful wind controllers can be in the right context.
As there are no opportunities, I don't know how useful the YDS might be in live performance, but it's very handy for things like this and frankly, far easier to deploy than the WX7, which I also own. It's hard to understand why Yamaha couldn't do better with sounds, but a saxophone is a saxophone. They should have added a Harmon mute trupet at least! And ditched that auto-robot-vibrato.

I think with more attention to it, the attack can be "faked" better than I did here, this was a very quick and dirty effort.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Here’s my take.

I’m using my 1949 SML Tenor (plus a filter or 2 on the solo and the intro) this has to be the darkest Tenor I’ve ever played and I love it.

Hope that you will be able to upload a take yourselves before the end of the month.

Thanks for listening if you have time.

Alex

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Here’s my take.

I’m using my 1949 SML Tenor (plus a filter or 2 on the solo and the intro) this has to be the darkest Tenor I’ve ever played and I love it.

Hope that you will be able to upload a take yourselves before the end of the month.

Alex
I listen at least 5 versions. Herbie in different combos and the same combos over years: with P. Metheny, Chris Potter, Joe Henderson, Shorter.
Interestingly there are so many different things that I didn't rememer from the past listening of Cantaloupe...

Alex, yours version is perfectly unique and super interesting.
Thanks again for offering this tune for the month.

Yehh... edited to add... what a SAX on picture! Should be a dream :)

Reactions: sax1st

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I listen at least 5 versions. Herbie in different combos and the same combos over years: with P. Metheny, Chris Potter, Joe Henderson, Shorter.
Interestingly there are so many different things that I didn't rememer from the past listening of Cantaloupe...

Alex, yours version is perfectly unique and super interesting.
Thanks again for offering this tune for the month.

Yehh... edited to add... what a SAX on picture! Should be a dream :)
Thanks Michael. There are indeed many super versions out there. And yes this SML is indeed something else. It really makes playing a joy more than ever. Such a great find and it’s staying with me. I know the story about how some of the guys from Selmer got disgruntled and left to form their own company down the road. This horn does remind me of the the same dark vibe I got from my Balanced Action but it sings more in the upper register. I don’t know how they did it but I’m glad they did :)

·
TOTM administrator
5,775 Posts
Here’s my take.

Alex
Never ceases to amaze me what you're capable of Alex! This backing is epic btw, I love everything about it. The dark sultry low octave was amazing, the dual octaves was amazing too! Every phrase and idea in the solo is just beautifully done, Love it all Alex, thanks so much for sharing! This SML is definitely a beautiful sound horn (and looking!).

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Never ceases to amaze me what you're capable of Alex! This backing is epic btw, I love everything about it. The dark sultry low octave was amazing, the dual octaves was amazing too! Every phrase and idea in the solo is just beautifully done, Love it all Alex, thanks so much for sharing! This SML is definitely a beautiful sound horn (and looking!).
Very kind of you Jared. The backing track can be found at Bobby’s backing tracks.com if you want to try it out. I’ve really only just scratched the surface with this horn. I didn’t pick it up until Friday last and it’s taken a day or so to play it in (freshly overhauled) it does need a felt here and there as there’s a little metal on metal clicking but other than that I’m overwhelmed by its sonic complexity. It’s like having to learn how to control a new voice. But a voice that I’ve wanted for a long time. Much obliged and do get a new take up won’t you?

·
TOTM administrator
5,775 Posts
Very kind of you Jared. The backing track can be found at Bobby’s backing tracks.com if you want to try it out. I’ve really only just scratched the surface with this horn. I didn’t pick it up until Friday last and it’s taken a day or so to play it in (freshly overhauled) it does need a felt here and there as there’s a little metal on metal clicking but other than that I’m overwhelmed by its sonic complexity. It’s like having to learn how to control a new voice. But a voice that I’ve wanted for a long time. Much obliged and do get a new take up won’t you?
I'm impressed! You seem to know the nuances of that horn very well for only 3 days having it! Can't wait to hear it playing in tip top shape! I too hope to get some vintage voiced saxophones someday! Thanks for sharing such a gorgeous take on your new beauty! What was your mpc setup of choice on this one?

As for my take, I just loaded up my track and ran a couple choruses today. Working my way up to this one, but lots of projects. I was hoping to do alto, and mines still getting repaired! I also just started school full time(finishing cyber security degree), on top of dad duty, and my full time job. Busy times ahead, but I guarantee I'll get a take out soon!

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Busy indeed Jared. My wife is in IT too. She’s a Senior Project Co-ordinator currently overseeing the installation of the 111 GPS system here in NZ. It’s one mighty big production. Hope all goes well with the exams.
The mouthpiece was my regular Link STM 7* I’m awaiting a new one from Jennifer Price to replace the MB1 I sent back. I think the new one will be more along the lines of a Dukoff LD so darker. I’m also working with a mouthpiece maker here in NZ developing a new one with him 3D printed but unlike another 3D company he’s finishing his beautifully. Polished to perfection.
Looking forward to your take.
Cheers!

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I shaped my music chamber in to the cantaloupe island this morning: :)
https://soundcloud.com/johan-michels%2Fcantaloupe-island
Hi Johan. Thanks for sharing this take. Did you make the backing track? The head was fine. The solo tended to stay around Gm and as such didn’t work so well when the chord changed to Em. You might want to get that scale sorted and give us another shot later. If you look at the 3 chords I would start with the following notes. Chord 1 G A Bb C D E F. Chord 2 Eb F G A Bb C Db Chord 3 E F# G A B C# D
There are many other notes to work in but those are the basic chord tones. Run them against the changes and see how they work.
Best. Alex

21 - 40 of 45 Posts