Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here’s a great jam track with some easy chords to blow over.

It’s standard material for any jam session and I’m sure this isn’t the first time its been featured as a TOTM but seeing as we have a number of new participants I thought it would be cool to see what you guys come up with.

There are many backing tracks available on YT and you will be spoilt almost for choice.

I have the Bb sheet music for those who need it IMG_0241.jpg

You will be best served by going to YT and choosing your favourite audio backing track from there if you don’t have one already.

If anyone has the Eb sheet music from the real book would you be so kind and load it up please?

I look forward as always to your tracks and I will listen to each and every one and comment appropriately.

Wishing you all a great month ahead.

Alex

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,775 Posts
Thanks so much for hosting Alex! Its been 9 years since this one was called, well more than enough to get everyone involved here!

I've added this one to the TOTM index here: SOTW TOTM (Tune of the Month) - MAIN THREAD INDEX since...

Looking forward to giving this one a go, and I'll also be hosting the B&I TOTM which will be posted up shortly!

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for hosting Alex! Its been 9 years since this one was called, well more than enough to get everyone involved here!

I've added this one to the TOTM index here: SOTW TOTM (Tune of the Month) - MAIN THREAD INDEX since...

Looking forward to giving this one a go, and I'll also be hosting the B&I TOTM which will be posted up shortly!
Wow! 9 years? I didn’t check but I was sure it would have been called for at some stage. That’s cool. I won’t be uploading straight away as I’m quite busy with other work but next week for sure. So maybe this time Dirk can get in before me :)
And of course I know Michael (Pobeda) will give it his multi treatment (well I hope he will anyway) and looking forward to yours Jared and seeing as you’re getting into the FX I’ll do one with a few myself and a chance to fire up my new tenor which is a 1949 SML Rev C in silver plate. I had a Rev D which I sold a few years ago and I regret that to this day. However this Rev C is a worthy successor and after a few hours yesterday I’m happy to say it will be a keeper. So sonically different from any other horn I’ve played. Anyway on with the thread :cool:
Cheers! Alex

·
TOTM administrator
5,775 Posts
Wow! 9 years? I didn’t check but I was sure it would have been called for at some stage. That’s cool. I won’t be uploading straight away as I’m quite busy with other work but next week for sure. So maybe this time Dirk can get in before me :)
And of course I know Michael (Pobeda) will give it his multi treatment (well I hope he will anyway) and looking forward to yours Jared and...
Thanks Alex! I'm sure we will see some takes again very shortly! I'll definitely be working on one! but for now here is a take I did a couple months ago in February:

Hoping to improve upon this!

...seeing as you’re getting into the FX I’ll do one with a few myself and a chance to fire up my new tenor which is a 1949 SML Rev C in silver plate. I had a Rev D which I sold a few years ago and I regret that to this day. However this Rev C is a worthy successor and after a few hours yesterday I’m happy to say it will be a keeper. So sonically different from any other horn I’ve played. Anyway on with the thread :cool:
Cheers! Alex
SML!! Nice catch Alex! that is going to be awesome to hear you play! Looking forward to hearing it. those things are beautiful too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,505 Posts
And of course I know Michael (Pobeda) will give it his multi treatment (well I hope he will anyway) and looking forward to yours Jared and seeing as you’re getting into the FX I’ll do one with a few myself and a chance to fire up my new tenor which is a 1949 SML Rev C in silver plate. I had a Rev D which I sold a few years ago and I regret that to this day. However this Rev C is a worthy successor and after a few hours yesterday I’m happy to say it will be a keeper. So sonically different from any other horn I’ve played. Anyway on with the thread :cool:
Cheers! Alex
Your phrasing on your just the way you are cut is really really fun to hear. I'll try to do some cantalope on flute if I get the chance > K

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Alex! I'm sure we will see some takes again very shortly! I'll definitely be working on one! but for now here is a take I did a couple months ago in February:

Hoping to improve upon this!

SML!! Nice catch Alex! that is going to be awesome to hear you play! Looking forward to hearing it. those things are beautiful too.
Great stuff Jared. The recording quality is good (as is the backing track) and you start a lot of nice ideas. You also stay pretty much within the harmonic framework which adds a lot of integrity to it overall.
What would I like to hear? Maybe exploring the initial ideas you have and working with the rhythmical aspect of those. You sometimes get into a groove and then suddenly get the energy burst and we are off somewhere else. I think it’s chorus 3 where you start off with those short 16th note stabs and I thought yeh now carry that on but you moved elsewhere. All good. It’s a learning process for us all.
One thing I have to say is those videos! Man I feel like I’m on an acid trip (never have been but I can imagine it would be something like this) Looking forward to your next take.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,205 Posts
I have (as often!) some older recordings of this song.

The first one is from January 2012. I remember I just got a new mouthpiece, a 1970's Otto Link STM Early Babbitt with a huge 12 tip and used a La Voz medium reed. Cantaloupe was the TOTM for that month and I used it more as a mouthpiece test vehicle than for playing it very seriously. I couldn't find the original recording on my PC anymore to re-mix it in a better way, so here is my very free and a kind of wild version of January 2012 in a low bitrate quality (128 kbps) :

1. - 'Cantaloupe Island' (Early Babbitt 12 no USA 10* - La Voz medium) - Jan 2012:

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Also did a version for the German saxforum in June 2018, this time on the Otto Link STM Florida no USA 10* with a Rico Royal 2 reed and a shorter version of the same backing track. A bit more decent version compared to 2012, but I prefer the oldest one myself!

2. - 'Cantaloupe Island' (Florida no USA 10* - Rico Royal 2) - Jun 2018:

·
TOTM administrator
5,775 Posts
Great stuff Jared. The recording quality is good (as is the backing track) and you start a lot of nice ideas. You also stay pretty much within the harmonic framework which adds a lot of integrity to it overall.
What would I like to hear? Maybe exploring the initial ideas you have and working with the rhythmical aspect of those. You sometimes get into a groove and then suddenly get the energy burst and we are off somewhere else. I think it’s chorus 3 where you start off with those short 16th note stabs and I thought yeh now carry that on but you moved elsewhere. All good. It’s a learning process for us all.
One thing I have to say is those videos! Man I feel like I’m on an acid trip (never have been but I can imagine it would be something like this) Looking forward to your next take.
Thanks Alex! I think I'll set that as a goal for myself on this tune. A well stated solo, that glows with ideas that are connected throughout! High goal for the month.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have (as often!) some older recordings of this song.

The first one is from January 2012. I remember I just got a new mouthpiece, a 1970's Otto Link STM Early Babbitt with a huge 12 tip and used a La Voz medium reed. Cantaloupe was the TOTM for that month and I used it more as a mouthpiece test vehicle than for playing it very seriously. I couldn't find the original recording on my PC anymore to re-mix it in a better way, so here is my very free and a kind of wild version of January 2012 in a low bitrate quality (128 kbps) :

1. - 'Cantaloupe Island' (Early Babbitt 12 no USA 10* - La Voz medium) - Jan 2012:

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Also did a version for the German saxforum in June 2018, this time on the Otto Link STM Florida no USA 10* with a Rico Royal 2 reed and a shorter version of the same backing track. A bit more decent version compared to 2012, but I prefer the oldest one myself!

2. - 'Cantaloupe Island' (Florida no USA 10* - Rico Royal 2) - Jun 2018:
Hey Peter. So nice to see you here in TOTM again (even if they are older recordings) and of course as usual full of your warmth and energy. Dynamic playing with a very gutsy approach and it’s not hard to hear your main influence (AC) shining through. I think they both stand up well with maybe the 2nd track better recorded/mixed. Very glad this months selection has brought you into the fold once more. I hope you’ll be able to offer your thoughts on others tracks as and when they appear and when you have time. Many thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Here’s a great jam track with some easy chords to blow over.

<snip>

If anyone has the Eb sheet music from the real book would you be so kind and load it up please?
I have various Eb Real Books, but this tune seems only available on Vol II of the Second Edition of the Real Book, which I do not have. May also be in the Hal Leonard Real Latin Book, according to the Hal Leonard Index. But seems not in any other version/volume/edition of the Real Book.

It is also available in the Colorado Cook Book and in Jazz LTD, but I do not know if either of those has an Eb version. I don't believe they do, but am not sure.

I do have a version (and backing track) for Eb Alto from a Hal Leonard Playalong series. But that one is in A, and the corresponding tenor version is in D.
Your tenor version uploaded in this thread is in Bb, and appears to come from the Real Book Second Edition. This is, to the best of my understanding, the correct key for this tune.
Accordingly, the versions from the Hal Leonard playalong seem transposed from the original and are likely of little value, without the correlating backing tracks

So if anyone has volume 2 of the Second Edition of the Eb Real Book . . . .

Reactions: sax1st

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
And of course I know Michael (Pobeda) will give it his multi treatment (well I hope he will anyway)
Alex, by mentionning my name you "overcharged" my sense of responsibility :)
Sure it is a cool tune with limitless field for impros... so all participants are in "good hands" this month.
We all can have practical advices from you and interchange opinions as usually.

We have a good start by Jared and Peter with their already ready tracks.

·
TOTM administrator
5,775 Posts
I have various Eb Real Books, but this tune seems only available on Vol II of the Second Edition of the Real Book, which I do not have. May also be in the Hal Leonard Real Latin Book, according to the Hal Leonard Index. But seems not in any other version/volume/edition of the Real Book.

It is also available in the Colorado Cook Book and in Jazz LTD, but I do not know if either of those has an Eb version. I don't believe they do, but am not sure.

I do have a version (and backing track) for Eb Alto from a Hal Leonard Playalong series. But that one is in A, and the corresponding tenor version is in D.
Your tenor version uploaded in this thread is in Bb, and appears to come from the Real Book Second Edition. This is, to the best of my understanding, the correct key for this tune.
Accordingly, the versions from the Hal Leonard playalong seem transposed from the original and are likely of little value, without the correlating backing tracks

So if anyone has volume 2 of the Second Edition of the Eb Real Book . . . .
Here's the Eb sheet I have! It's in D- (Concert F-). And the corresponding Tenor Version should be in G- (which it is after checking Alex's chart.)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Here's the Eb sheet I have! It's in D- (Concert F-). And the corresponding Tenor Version should be in G- (which it is after checking Alex's chart.)
Thanks for that. And for the correct key (I had just looked at the key signature without looking at the chords or thinking if it was major or minor).

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alex, by mentionning my name you "overcharged" my sense of responsibility :)
Sure it is a cool tune with limitless field for impros... so all participants are in "good hands" this month.
We all can have practical advices from you and interchange opinions as usually.

We have a good start by Jared and Peter with their already ready tracks.
Ha ha! Consider yourself burdened with responsibility :) et officium et onus!

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
First exercise of the morning. Too early to make "noise".
https://soundcloud.com/randulo%2Fcanteloupe-yds-150
I love your quote from Oscar. Glad you had some ‘quiet’ time to put this down. It’s very intimate. Beautiful improvisation. A superb addition to this months TOTM. Thank you so much randulo for sharing this with us. I’m sure I won’t be the only person to play this more than once :cool:

·
Registered
22 Posts
We play this with saxophone quartet. Been more then a year now and still waiting to start back again. I made this youtube film when i was bored sometime ago... No improvisation just the melody and a written chorus...

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Very nice Johan. The voicing worked really well. And good to see a fine array of horns there. Do upload another take if you have time I’m sure your arrangement would be welcomed by many. Thanks for sharing.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts