Sax on the Web Forum banner

161 - 168 of 168 Posts

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
getting in there before the end of the month.. never played this before but got inspired to do so by some great recordings.. Also gives me the chance to try and sort our mpc/reed combinations. Welcome any comments, thanks

https://soundcloud.com/madav%2Fwhen-sonny-gets-blue-lr9-r-25h
Hi Madav. A great sound you have there with a nice sub tone and good articulation. And strong musical phrases/statements that mostly work well with the underlying harmony. The improv sometimes drifted in terms of note choice and maybe a little bright on some notes in terms of tuning but I’m nit-picking and overall I think that’s a very nice take. Again another fine add to this months takes and one to be proud of. Thank you for sharing. Alex
Loved the take and 95% agree with Alex. The 5% (disagreement) goes to your individuality on top of all that I definitely liked.

Reactions: J-Moen

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,694 Posts
Hi Jared - my first thought was that I was looking forward to hearing how the mouthpiece sounded ! but I think you maybe need to play around with the recording settings as it doesn't really come through.. I am still playing around, and it seems to depends on mpc, room and mike..
Sorry about that! Dry mix didn't mix in all to well, feel free to check my most recent recording to hear that piece with a light reverb!

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
Take 2. It's a tricky tune, but try to bring out the happy and sad bits in the tune. Let me know what you think.

Hi Paul. Thanks for joining in this month. I thought you played the head really nicely and it’s a good basis for the rest of the number. However the solo although it was good in terms of your phrasing was not so good harmonically in as much as that some of your note choices are good and appropriate to the chords but others weren’t so successful. The solo flowed really well and kept up with the changes but just didn’t quite gel note choice-wise in a number of places. I
must say that you certainly seem to be quite at home on the Soprano and I’m very glad you shared your take with us. Kind regards. Alex

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Paul. Thanks for joining in this month. I thought you played the head really nicely and it’s a good basis for the rest of the number. However the solo although it was good in terms of your phrasing was not so good harmonically in as much as that some of your note choices are good and appropriate to the chords but others weren’t so successful. The solo flowed really well and kept up with the changes but just didn’t quite gel note choice-wise in a number of places. I
must say that you certainly seem to be quite at home on the Soprano and I’m very glad you shared your take with us. Kind regards. Alex
Thank you for your comments, I completely agree and thats precisely what I'm working on. I've not really studied the details of chord changes and note choices are sometimes a bit off. But this is a tricky tune, especially when it gets to bar 5 (C# half dim). That section throws me a bit.

I look forward to the next tune! And I'll keep working on that.

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
Thank you for your comments, I completely agree and thats precisely what I'm working on. I've not really studied the details of chord changes and note choices are sometimes a bit off. But this is a tricky tune, especially when it gets to bar 5 (C# half dim). That section throws me a bit.

I look forward to the next tune! And I'll keep working on that.
Cool Paul. Really glad to hear your positive and humble feedback. I’m glad to hear you’re working on the improv as everything else certainly is solid. Nice. Looking forward to your next contribution. Cheers. Alex

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
Just before my latest host duties come to an end (as it’s now nearly the end of the day here in NZ) I’d just like to say a big thank you to all the participants in this months TOTM It takes a lot to put your recordings out there for public critique and I appreciate your willingness to share as you have done. Here’s to many more TOTM’s and a very sincere wish for next months thread, under the steady hand of Dirk, to be equally if not even better attended.
Kind regards to all.
Alex

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,694 Posts
Just before my latest host duties come to an end (as it’s now nearly the end of the day here in NZ) I’d just like to say a big thank you to all the participants in this months TOTM It takes a lot to put your recordings out there for public critique and I appreciate your willingness to share as you have done. Here’s to many more TOTM’s and a very sincere wish for next months thread, under the steady hand of Dirk, to be equally if not even better attended.
Kind regards to all.
Alex
A massive thank you Alex to hosting this month, and keepint this thread going for 9 whole pages! Your generosity and feedback are amazing, and I hope I can speak for everyone in saying we are so grateful to have your presence here in our TOTMs! Thank you again.

Everyone please join us for the new TOTM for this coming month hosted by Taragot:

161 - 168 of 168 Posts