Sax on the Web Forum banner

21 - 40 of 168 Posts

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Hello.
Thanks for the comment. Yes I have studied improvisation before but normally simpler tunes than this. I'll sit down with this tune this week and see what I come up with. Cheers.
Cool. There are a few solo transcriptions around to give you an idea as to what works. If you have any problems with particular changes just message me or you can ask the other members of course I’m sure many will be able to assist. Okay? Cheers. Alex

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
okay here's take 2, still couldn't make it through the solo part. I actually thought I was flat, so I pushed my mouthpiece on all the way, so I'm curious how my intonation sounds now? The reed may be too soft, but the next size up is too hard for me to play on. :rolleyes:
The video is marked private.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Excellent version Tim.

Love the warm and gritty (when pushed) sound you get out of the old Conn 6M and the Florida STM. Beautiful piano playing too, must be nice to be able to create backing tracks yourself.
Thanks - I'm a bit more used to the mpc/horn combo now. I'd only just got hold of the Florida STM when I recorded this. It really is a lovely example of that model, though - and now I have the tuning sorted seems to bring the best out of the 6M.
I'm glad you posted a Stitt version of the tune, btw. There's a very nice Sonny Criss one too :)

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
#3 - sorry for all the false takes. I am using the Ted Klum Acoustimer here! C&C welcome.

Well the overall tuning is very sharp. It sounds a little better on some of the lower notes in comparison to the backing track. Did you use a tuner? You really need to do some work on this otherwise it really renders most of what you’re playing non listenable (at least to me) I don’t mean to be harsh but you did say that C and C are welcome. Do you have a teacher? Just a few lessons with someone could knock your tuning into shape I’m sure. As for the improvisation I really can‘t hear where you’re going with that. Again lessons will help you immensely. There are times when you’re playing the head that you play a nice phrase that works harmonically so I can hear that you have ideas that can work. My recommendation is to get a teacher and if you can‘t source one locally go online as there are many very fine teachers out there that will be able to help you. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Quick and dirty, I have to work a lot:

Ciao and keep you safe.

Reactions: olds1959special

·
Registered
245 Posts
Thanks for the comments, Alex. I think I need a harder reed to improve the intonation. I’m very much enjoying the synthetic fiberreeds and I’ve used the same medium soft for a while. The medium was too hard - but I just got a black diamond reedgeek so maybe I can adjust it.

21 - 40 of 168 Posts