Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is my honor to host this month's Tune of the Month, and I've selected Gerry Mulligan's "Song for Strayhorn". Unlike most jazz tunes where you play a short head then solo over it for 10 minutes, this is more "song" oriented. There is a solo section that switches to a latin feel, before finishing up the tune. I hope you will all enjoy playing it as much as I do.

Play-along MP3 + charts here (please note the chart is 2 pages each): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/myemax1m005i5mh/AAB12HYRbS7cbTDiICZpoF3ba?dl=0

A few versions for inspiration:

I look forward to hearing what you come up with!

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Great song, not one I know! Quick question on the dots and backing track: is the backing track exactly as written or are there repeats of the solo sections?

·
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great song, not one I know! Quick question on the dots and backing track: is the backing track exactly as written or are there repeats of the solo sections?
Nope it's exact. The backing track and chart are from the same book.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Awesome! Will print the charts off and give it a whirl.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
Guys, we already got a volunteer (Mrblackbat) to host November 2017 TOTM, so that saves our current host buddy lee some time in finding someone for next month. :)

·
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys, we already got a volunteer (Mrblackbat) to host November 2017 TOTM, so that saves our current host buddy lee some time in finding someone for next month. :)
Awesome! I'm hoping to lay down a recording of this tonight to kick things off... awful quiet in here so far

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
Awesome! I'm hoping to lay down a recording of this tonight to kick things off... awful quiet in here so far
I'm currently a week from home without sax and after that also really busy, but I hope to get a change to record around half October. Not an easy tune for me (my music reading sucks!), but I normally can come up with something!

Looking forward to your take. :)

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'll be able to get something done at the weekend most likely; weeknights gets a bit late to start recording after my little baby boy is sleeping!

·
Registered
702 Posts

·
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm fearless ! :)

First take (dirty but not so quick :)) of this not easy tune.

At this late hour I can't blow strong, therefore the sound is quite choked.

https://soundcloud.com/guido-creo/song-for-strayhorn-20171002

Ciao
Guido, thanks for being first out of the gate, I know it's not easy! A little feedback:

1. Your setup sounds like it's fighting you a bit, but the more I listened, the more I was starting to dig it! Like it was kinda Sonny Rollins-esque at times if that makes a sense.
2. Take your time, you were a little ahead in the beginning in some spots.
3. After the solo it goes back to the head then to the end... it's probably not the easiest thing to follow, so sorry about that!
4. I like your solo ideas! Keep it up!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Hi Buddy, thanks for your listening and for your comments.

Guido, thanks for being first out of the gate, I know it's not easy! A little feedback:

1. Your setup sounds like it's fighting you a bit, but the more I listened, the more I was starting to dig it! Like it was kinda Sonny Rollins-esque at times if that makes a sense.
Yes, I am trying a reed more strong than the usual and when I play "pianissimo" I struggle a bit.

2. Take your time, you were a little ahead in the beginning in some spots.
3. After the solo it goes back to the head then to the end... it's probably not the easiest thing to follow, so sorry about that!
You are right, time is my weak, after the solo I missed it.

4. I like your solo ideas! Keep it up!
Thanks, I'll try to Keep It up !:)

Ciao

·
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
459 Posts
Working from home today, so recorded my first read of this on soprano. It's a bit naff, but there we go! Didn't really get into the double time feel section, and squawked a fair few high notes. Also realised my print off of the first page had cut off the last beat of each line, so had to wing those!

https://soundcloud.com/matthew-darwin/song-for-strayhorn-soprano-take-1

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Great song! Thank you for choosing this, buddy lee!

Today is national holliday here in germany - and a lot of rain outside (though it got sunny now), ideal circumstances for a recording sessions.

I did two tracks - first on bass clarinet and second on tenor.

I'm a very limited clarinet player , so I practiced a bit simply to get my E-Major scale and the notes of the head going. Impro on clarinet isn't so easy ... Many random notes and I didn't know what to do with the doubletime. Imagining a good bassclarinet player, this would be a beautiful instrument for this tune!

The second one is a quick one on tenorsax

https://soundcloud.com/taragot/song-for-strayhorn-tenorsax

Greetings to Italy and Australia - Guido and Nick, I enjoyed your takes!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Very nice take, MrBlackBat! Soprano works well with this tune and the melody really sings!
Also realised my print off of the first page had cut off the last beat of each line, so had to wing those!
Same with me. I like that you have to guess then and find various possibilities for these missing notes.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Very nice take, MrBlackBat! Soprano works well with this tune and the melody really sings!

Same with me. I like that you have to guess then and find various possibilities for these missing notes.
Thanks! I think I'd prefer it if I had a bit more control on soprano though.....

1 - 20 of 73 Posts