Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's my pleasure to host Tune Of The Month for November, following on from a tough act of buddy's selection of Mulligan's beautiful Song For Strayhorn. So I've gone for the Disney classic from Snow White: Someday My Prince Will Come. Fortunately, we won't have to listen to that warbling recording; but instead some of the amazing takes from the jazz masters!

Lead sheets in Bb and Eb along with backing are here:- https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vnryspnxuzylxkf/AABH2mKdrWCqv6OG3XlUKG9Ka?dl=0

There's an 8 bar intro on the backing, as per the Miles Davis, followed by 7 choruses and back to the pedal intro to fade.

And some classic recordings to inspire you:-

Miles Davis' album of the same name; with an amazing solo by Coltrane at the end, and Hank Mobley doing a fine rendition earlier in the track too!

Dave Brubeck, with Paul Desmond on alto. I love the way the drums play in two all the way through the piano solo! Desmond is just sublime in his melodic phrasing on this take.

Lastly, here's my first rendition on tenor, to get the ball rolling.

https://soundcloud.com/matthew-darwin/someday-my-prince-will-come

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't wait to hear them! :D

·
Registered
1,451 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have some ideas
Can't wait to hear them!
Well, first you get my noodeling ....

https://soundcloud.com/taragot/someday-my-prince-will-come_alto
Thanks for the early contribution!

I really liked the way you play the melody with a 2 feel over the waltz!

There were a couple of points where I felt you were fighting it a bit when the backing moves to a full swing though, and I think maybe towards the end you were running out of steam a little?

Good stuff overall though!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Thanks for listening!

maybe towards the end you were running out of steam a little?
Yes, I need at least two chorusses to decide, If I should finish ....

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers guys. Will do some soprano takes at some point as well.

Looking forwards to hearing some more takes!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
? Thanks! Never been that happy with my alto tone but been putting a lot of work in recently so appreciate the kind words!

Still half tempted to try and find a Selmer Soloist to swap out the Meyer. Switched to that from a Rousseau & works better but still not sure it's the one.

Haven't played this on alto for a long long time, so this is a little noodly in places....

https://soundcloud.com/matthew-darwin/someday-my-prince-will-come-alto
I enjoyed this, a LOT. Great tone and loved your ideas. Nit picky thing for me would be too much vibrato but that?s probably my problem lol

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
Is anyone else noticing a fairly big disconnection between the bass and the keyboard/ drums in the backing track? I've tried a few times to record for this month and every time it comes to the 3rd chorus after the head there's a huge drop in the time. The bass sounds like it's almost a beat ahead.

It happens again a little later in the track too. It's so bad I can't even hear what part of the song we're in even though I know because I'm counting and looking at the chart.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,268 Posts
Is anyone else noticing a fairly big disconnection between the bass and the keyboard/ drums in the backing track? I've tried a few times to record for this month and every time it comes to the 3rd chorus after the head there's a huge drop in the time. The bass sounds like it's almost a beat ahead.

It happens again a little later in the track too. It's so bad I can't even hear what part of the song we're in even though I know because I'm counting and looking at the chart.
Bass and drums sound right on to me. The piano gets a little funky with the comping at times, but the bass player barely ever even strays from a steady quarter-note pulse. I've never been solid on this tune, might have to work it out this month.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've not noticed it; will have a listen to jsut the backing and see if I pick it up.

If you hard pan right or left it'll remove the bass/piano respectively, be interesting if that clears it up.

I do agree the piano comping is a little funky at times!

·
7,356 Posts
Bass and drums sound right on to me. The piano gets a little funky with the comping at times, but the bass player barely ever even strays from a steady quarter-note pulse. I've never been solid on this tune, might have to work it out this month.

That's probably what it is.

I might record with just the bass and drum sound coming through and then put the piano back in once I'm done. Might be a little funny but I'll give it a try.

It's such a great tune. My favorite modern version has to be by Keith McKelley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=SN&hl=fr&v=USLlEBdICfQ

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think I can hear what you mean, though it seems to me that the bassist is just suspending a bar over for an extra beat into the next bar in a few places. Happens on the first two choruses where he starts walking, first two bars for the first one and the third and fourth bars on the second one.

·
7,356 Posts
I tried for 2 hours yesterday to record a take. And I couldn't do it without feeling like I was seriously losing the form of the tune. The problem does indeed lay with the bass comping. The piano is a little weird at times but not too bad. I even stopped improvising and just played broken chords over the changes and every time the track would go out with what I was playing.

I'm going to record this with a better backing accompaniment (real people!!) next wednesday at Hermann's.

This used to be a go to song for me and in a few of the jazz groups I've played with over the years. Probably played it a thousand times. So the frustration got very high at the end of my practice/ recording session yesterday.

I found another backing track on youtube which is way straighter and hokier sounding. I had no problems keeping the form of the tune under my fingers. But the backing sounded like crap.

EDIT: Ok, I found this backing. Which now that I think about it I should have just started with in the first place. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF-0l5iqCyc I'll post a take today no matter what. Mistakes and all. Because I honestly was about to give up after yesterday.

I've got a new recording set up too which I've been really wanting to give a try. The flubbed takes from yesterday all sound really good. Which is a bonus. At least I know the recording quality will be good.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts