Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking forward to hosting May's TOTM ... I can't believe Charlie Parker's "Confirmation" hasn't been chosen yet after all these years but it's true! I believe many (including myself) would have this tune on their Top 10 list of jazz tunes to know, both for the frequency with which it gets called and for the genius of the chord progression. The chord changes can seem daunting at first, but as you start to get comfortable with this tune you find that it contains elements of loads of other tunes in the way the harmony moves. Also, just the process of staying on top of the constant harmonic movement is a great primer for playing other tunes with "tough" changes, like the music of Dizzy Gillespie, Benny Golson, and John Coltrane.

So here's "Confirmation", one day early ..... I'll be posting lots of resource material but let's get fired up with some classic recordings. Here are a few of my favorites ..... feel free to post some of yours as well!

·
Administrator
17,277 Posts

·
Administrator
17,277 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Quality and content don't matter ... so long as I'm first in. :mrgreen:
A peebee style recording, played at a tempo I have no business attempting :

Confirmation Consternation

Now I can relax for the rest of the month, and enjoy the next few takes without any pressure ... :bluewink:

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Now I can relax for the rest of the month, and enjoy the next few takes without any pressure ... :bluewink:
Nice job being the first one in Brandon!

·
Administrator
17,277 Posts
Povel is THE MAN! Geez he sounds great there ..... I think I need to transcribe this. Thanks Peter!
I'm glad you liked it David, Ferdinand plays some incredible stuff in that tune (and other tracks from that concert, you can find many more on YouTube).

I wish peebee could handle this theme at that tempo Brendan, you did a good job. :)

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I was thinking the same.
You were thinking that Peter would have trouble .. me too !! :mrgreen: :twisted:

It's pretty sloppy ... I'm already embarrassed, and it'll only get worse as the month goes on. :(

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Such a great choice! I can't believe it hasn't been called yet. Also, I think we need Mr. Wells to put up a recording of the most famous alteration of this tune...26-2!
26-2 absolutely destroys me ...... count me in!🤪

·
Administrator
17,277 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Thank you David. I hope all things are well with you!

Not sure if I'll get a Confirmation post in this month or not, I'll try to check out some of the takes either way though. I'm glad to see this thread continuing, I know maintaining participation is difficult. (I haven't regularly posted in a while myself).

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Will be posting some different backing tracks along with some fun extras later today ..... stay tuned and keep shedding your ii-V7 patterns!😜

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
That Rhythm in the B section has always been really screwy for me. Especially playing it on tenor. I talked to Tim Price about it when I was taking lessons and he agreed. You always hear people doing an as close as they can get version on that phrase

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
That could be something for Brendan too, because he's already done with Confirmation
And there's this one which should be easy as all the notes are there.
Oh .. the sarcasm .. :evil:

Be careful what you wish for :bluewink:
Nothing kills a thread faster than multiple Brendan takes ... (except maybe a lengthy Peebee 5 mpc comparo tune ! :mrgreen: )

1 - 20 of 86 Posts