Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After a really busy stretch moving to Colorado and a very busy life I’m back to hosting a ToTM. When Mr PeeBee asked me to host this month, we talked about some ideas and were quite surprised to see it “missing” from the index, i.e. not called before on either thread.

Richard Rogers was a gifted composer who teamed with two very noted Lyricists in his career, Oscar Hammerstein and Lorenz Hart. Many of his best works have become Jazz Standards.

THe usual performacnce key is F, but you’ll hear it moved into other keys usually to fit vocalist ranges. The song structure is standard for the era (32 bars in an AABA form). The A section moves around just a little but stays fairly close to the tonality. The B section / bridge is a shift by major thirds from Bflat to D to F# to D. This is 20+ years before Giant Steps.

The song is performed at a number of tempos from:

Ella Fitzgerald ballad (~70bpm).

Ben Webster and Art Tatum (~80bpm)

Chet Baker moderate tempo (~160bpm)

Stan Getz uptempo (~220ish).. Bob Brookmeyer might be the trombonist on this track.

It’s a tune that just about every jazz player learns as part of their education.

Here’s the Concert Lead Sheet:

A1F05AC7-3FE2-4474-8EC5-0C906717A59C.jpg

And the Bflat Lead Sheet:

FCF88F52-7350-4942-A4FA-F40527E233C9.jpg

Also the Eflat lead sheet:

4E9E40E2-96DD-44FC-B6FC-E37B0F7C988C.jpg

I generated backing tracks out of iReal Pro at a number of tempos. It’s a great program for both Apple and Android :)

80bpm ballad with only 3 choruses cuz it feels slow.

120bpm slow swing tempo

160bpm medium swing

196bpm “slow” for uptempo.

I can generate other tempos easily in iReal Pro — or feel free to use your own.

Hope everyone enjoys this one. I’m in the learning phase on this (meaning I’ve got the melody not quite 100% on memorizing the chords).

I’ll try to record this tomorrow — off to a rehearsal in a few minutes.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Re: ToTM - June 2018. Have You met Miss Jones

Awesome song. I'll kick off with a video from a couple of months ago with a little trio I play with; not the greatest quality video but there we go!

·
Registered
459 Posts

Incidentally, the solo by George Coleman on the Chet Baker take is amazing, such mastery of the changes and going for a full on sheets of sound style. Awesome.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts

Double post. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts

Great pick. I remembered I used this some 6 years ago record a mouthpiece comparison test. This is one of them and I posted it on Soundcloud.
Unfortunatly I had no chords or sheets and too little practice so the tricky bridge part got a little sketchy here and there. At the end it
went bad so I decided to fade that out. Anyway if there is another oppertunity I will try to record a new take.
https://soundcloud.com/saxofun/have-you-met-miss-jones

·
Registered
48 Posts

I think the ballad and uptempo links are switched. 😲

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

I fixed it a few minutes ago Phannon. Thanks for letting me know :)

Here's the recording link.
Have You Met Miss Jones at the lower end of what would be considered uptempo.

This is the second recording of me on my new tenor. The Zephyr did me well and is off to beautiful British Columbia for someone else to make beautiful music with.

I'm pleased with this recording, including the imperfections. I think it shows the progress I've made over the last 3 years and a few months. Is it perfect? No. I flubbed a few notes here and there and I wasn't totally locked with the time from the 1st beat to the last. But it is good. My tone is getting richer and my articulation is clear. Someone could transcribe this :) The swing feel is less jerky than it was a few months ago. I'm getting used to my new horn and digging the tone quite a bit

Of course compared to the true pros, it'll pale by comparison.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,201 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Here's a version I recorded last summer when I first got the alto.
Some tuning issues ... that middle C# is really flat.
Might try a soprano take later in the month. (for more cringe-iness) :bluewink: :mrgreen:

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13615158

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mr blackbat:

Nice take at a laid back tempo. Tasteful fills behind the vocalist. The guitarist does a good job of both keeping time and hitting changes too. And live means no second take!

jazzznbluezzz:

Your take is really sweet. Hints of Getz and Marsh with the slightly breathy tone. You may have been “struggling” but it doesn’t come across in the recordings. Double time is limited so as not to overpower the listener. Your take on the melody worked really well.

Guidocreo:

Your playing on the melody sounds like a giant mellow tenor and that’s meant as a compliment :) It sounds like you need to work some on the very top of your register where your tone is going somewhat thin. This is most noticeable on C#. Lovely, relaxed groove throughout makes it an enjoyable listen for me.

More comments later.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
donnersm:

You have a nice, full tone further along on the tone path for the moment than improvising but practice will move you a long. With the longer notes, try to add in a little subtle vibrato, You’re also do a lot of scoops, and lifts. I get in that habit myself and when I hear it I do better. Improvising is pretty good, and I like that you riff off the main theme. As you progress try to go further and further from the main theme.

Brendan:

This is the better part of a year old... so I hope we get to hear something newer. (Hint hintJ. One thing I noticed is you didn’t seem particularly comfy with the changes. Neither am I yet. Try practicing with all quarter notes. Yeah it’ll sound a little like a bass line. That’s fine. Then try practicing 3579 on each chord in time as slow as you need to pull it off. It’s a process and won’t happen overnight. You’ll make a lot of incremental improvements you won’t notice and one day you’ll listen back and say whoa!

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
776 Posts

John : what sax did you buy ?

Humbardi
I fixed it a few minutes ago Phannon. Thanks for letting me know :)

Here's the recording link.
Have You Met Miss Jones at the lower end of what would be considered uptempo.

This is the second recording of me on my new tenor. The Zephyr did me well and is off to beautiful British Columbia for someone else to make beautiful music with.

I'm pleased with this recording, including the imperfections. I think it shows the progress I've made over the last 3 years and a few months. Is it perfect? No. I flubbed a few notes here and there and I wasn't totally locked with the time from the 1st beat to the last. But it is good. My tone is getting richer and my articulation is clear. Someone could transcribe this :) The swing feel is less jerky than it was a few months ago. I'm getting used to my new horn and digging the tone quite a bit

Of course compared to the true pros, it'll pale by comparison.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dave:

I don't need to tell you it's really good. I'm definitely not trying for that particular tone tyle but it's still done very well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,467 Posts
Dave:

I don't need to tell you it's really good. I'm definitely not trying for that particular tone tyle but it's still done very well.
Thanks! I don't go for that sound either- I was just doing that recording for Mark to showcase the mouthpiece. Check out some of my recent videos (on YouTube) in the studio with the Classic to see my actual tenor sound!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Guidocreo:

Your playing on the melody sounds like a giant mellow tenor and that’s meant as a compliment :) It sounds like you need to work some on the very top of your register where your tone is going somewhat thin. This is most noticeable on C#. Lovely, relaxed groove throughout makes it an enjoyable listen for me.
Thanks, I'll try to comment the other contributions next week.

Ciao

1 - 20 of 49 Posts