Sax on the Web Forum banner

TOTM for July 2017 - Lucky Southern (Keith Jarrett)

5K views 55 replies 16 participants last post by  mrpeebee 
#1 ·
Hello all,
since 6 month or so I take part in this inspiring game named TOTM. So I am glad, that I can volunteer for the first time as a host for the TOTM of july, hope you like my selection.

The song I chose is „Lucky Southern" from Keith Jarrett, which was recorded on the album „Free" from Airto Moreira.

The fluteplayer (unfortunatelly, the key is D major - more a flute-key and I see at least the alto and bariton sax players raise their eyebrows a bit, when they think of the 5 sharps it means for them) here is Hubert Laws or Joe Farrell - both are listed in the liner notes.
Harmonically there are some connections to the A-Section of „Girl from Ipanema", but fortunately the B-Section is a lot easier!

There is one very early solo recording from Keith Jarrett, I don't think he has recorded the song elsewhere.

I like especially the great uptempo recording from a singer named Tom Lellis (never heard of him before) with lyrics, vibraphone, flute and all.

These hungarian guys nail the song, too:

The Leadsheets can be found here:

C: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9jhlrqdypqbzexk/Lucky Southern C.pdf?dl=0
Bb: https://www.dropbox.com/s/va24l1bpl3l7030/Lucky Southern 1 Bb.pdf?dl=0
Eb: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pycuirsosjhdeox/Lucky Southern Eb.pdf?dl=0

There are some backing tracks on youtube, most of them in a similar tempo:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/061uwj08p...0bpm Intro 8bars 5x Piano Bass Drums.mp3?dl=0

I like the samba feel of this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gi3i96pi5dhjvz5/Lucky Southern Backing Track.mp3?dl=0

(There is an annoying voice at the beginnig, stating that it's made with a free version - perhaps someone can upload a version without)

I hope you'll enjoy „Lucky Southern" and post a lot of interesting recordings. Hear you soon!

See less See more
#2 ·
Here is a version of "Lucky Southern" I recorded on flute. Looking foreword for your tracks!

#8 ·
Great choice for this month Taragot. I hadn't heard this one before - reminds me of Chega de Saudade.
Love the flute ! Very light and upbeat ... cool fluttering vibrato in places. :mrgreen:

#3 ·
Ok eveyone... I've been away for a while...due to other hobbies and work..but now summer break is near.. and i bought a new mpc yesterday so ....time and hardware...which means I should be able to record a few tracks...
nice first recording on flute @taragot i will try to top it on sax hahah. Give me a few days to memorize the song ;-)

#4 ·
#6 ·
(There is an annoying voice at the beginnig, stating that it's made with a free version - perhaps someone can upload a version without)
Taragot, removing the voice is a piece of cake with Audacity, just cut out the part you don't like and save as mp3 afterwards. I did that with both of your backings and also saved them in a better mp3 quality of 320 kbps (instead of the low quality 128 kbps).

Here is the link to the corrected backings:
https://app.box.com/s/wx4wx6ak8qjmbot95kyqkki4ygab8h3a

Here is a version of "Lucky Southern" I recorded on flute. Looking foreword for your tracks!

Very nice flute version Taragot, nice job, good solo build up and nice double time runs.

#7 ·
Ok eveyone... I've been away for a while...due to other hobbies and work..but now summer break is near.. and i bought a new mpc yesterday so ....time and hardware...which means I should be able to record a few tracks...
Sounds like you are ready for TOTM:)
Hear you soon!

Bist du Bayrisch .
No, swabian, living in Baden. But at least regarding the weather in the north of germany, we are lucky southerners.:)

Taragot, removing the voice is a piece of cake with Audacity, just cut out the part you don't like and save as mp3 afterwards. I did that with both of your backings and also saved them in a better mp3 quality of 320 kbps (instead of the low quality 128 kbps).
Yes, I should have known, but did not think about it. Thank you so much!

#10 ·
OK .. another "day one" take, but that takes the pressure off !! :bluewink: :mrgreen:
Anyway, just feeling my way through the changes - so lots of chord tones and little imagination. Also missed the diminished chord near the end ... twice ! :evil:

#12 ·
Bsom
Ahh. Short arms and deep pockets... I heard..
Yes, that's exactly the cliché, but we are everywhere ....
Jetzt packsch aber glei dei Sax aus und spielsch au no a paar Chorusse von dem Lied! No schwätz mer weider!

Brendan
OK .. another "day one" take, but that takes the pressure off !!
Anyway, just feeling my way through the changes - so lots of chord tones and little imagination. Also missed the diminished chord near the end ... twice !
Hei Brendan, you're the first who recorded this song on a Eb-Instrument. Chapeau for playing so fluently in B-Major! I like the easy, effortless feeling you had on baritone. Nice!
I missed all kinds of chords, too, but that doesn't matter on this song imho.

#14 ·
Chapeau for playing so fluently in B-Major
Next up .... F# maj !! :bluewink:

bflateflat said:
Here's a recording of this tune I did a couple of years ago, I was just getting into home recording so please excuse the effect on the sax.
Yeah listening to this puts you in a great mood ! :mrgreen:

#13 ·
Here's a recording of this tune I did a couple of years ago, I was just getting into home recording so please excuse the effect on the sax.
bflateflat, your recording on the radio would make my sunny day. Super controlled and great! And I like tis tad-to-much-reverb!

#20 ·
Ok here is my first try using a new MPC ( lebayle metal jazz7)

Yes, nice track with nice quotes from "Ornithology".
And it would be great if you would upload your swinging backing track!

Dave Pollack
Great pick! And concert D is no problem for us alto players! It's got a really great bright quality to it (especially on alto) and hopefully I'll have time to put a recording up.
It would be great if you'll do a recording! I came to TOTM with your pick of "Strasbourg St. Denis" and was inspired a lot by your advices.

#22 ·
Unexpectedly I had free time this morning - so I could play some tenor and recorded a version of "Lucky Southern".

Hopefully we'll soon hear some more tracks from this nice and easy summer song...

#24 ·
Thank you very much, I never think about vibrato on sax. I'll observe that!

#26 ·
#28 ·
David,I like a lot how I can follow your flow of thoughts. Very mature and thoughtful way of improvising!

#29 ·
Hello,
not that july is over already, but id would be nice to hear some more tracks of "Lucky Southern" in the next days.
And - is someone willing to host the next TOTM in August? Please pm me or MrPeeBee
Regards

#30 ·
Hello !
I'm new here, and I find the concept of the TOTM pretty cool !

I didn't know Lucky Southern and I've to say that I really like the chord changes. Great choice (annoying key signature, but it allows me to work :p ).
I listened to all your takes, you did a great job guys ! Here's mine (my first TOTM ooooooo)

#31 ·
Hello !
I'm new here, and I find the concept of the TOTM pretty cool !

I didn't know Lucky Southern and I've to say that I really like the chord changes. Great choice (annoying key signature, but it allows me to work :p ).
I listened to all your takes, you did a great job guys ! Here's mine (my first TOTM ooooooo)
Hey buddy ... Desafinado belongs in another thread .. :bluewink: :mrgreen:
Excellent take Bastien ! Looking forward to your upcoming contributions in the months to come. :)

#35 ·
New tune for me and also not really my cup of tea, but I managed to record a quick and dirty take after 5 minutes practice! Could not really figure out how to play the theme and my reading sucks, so the theme is partly improvised.

- 'Lucky Southern' (Florida no USA 10* - Rico Royal 2):
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13603882

#36 ·
Yes, really impressive take, great playing, Bastien! It's also nice to see someone playing the TOTM - but I would have to clean up the mess in my music corner.

Hey buddy ... Desafinado belongs in another thread ..
I'm waiting for someone to quote "Girl from Ipanema" on a new track, I forgot to do that and the chords are really similar.

MrPeeBee, I like your sound and phrasing a lot, even if it's not always compatible with the style of the background track.

#41 ·
Nice version with lots of cool chromatic passing notes, saxonabike! I see I should really practice this stuff in the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.