Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks everyone for voting, the results are in: the Tune of the Month for August 2018 will be Clifford Brown's Daahoud.

Originally recorded in 1954 by the Clifford Brown/Max Roach quartet, in my opinion this is one that should be played fast! Bits to pay attention to are the III-VI-II-V-I into concert B major in the first four bars, and the lovely descending changes in the fifth to seventh bar, the Emaj7 to Ebmaj7 is always a nice slide!

I'm going to try and knock up a fast backing track on BBIAB, and upload that along with the Aebersold backing (which is a very sedate 135 bpm) to dropbox here - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vnryspnxuzylxkf/AABH2mKdrWCqv6OG3XlUKG9Ka?dl=0

Here's the original Clifford Brown/Max Roach recording, with Harold Land on tenor:-

Clifford Brown with Zoot Sims:-

A live recording with Sonny Rollins in the Roach/Brown band:-

Getting even faster with Phineas Newborn Jr.

Dizzy and Freddie smashing it.

Can't wait to hear what you guys get up to on this tune!

Matthew

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
So here's my day one, high effort - low yield, get in on the ground floor, just feeling out the chords, rough take :

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13761903

Don't really have the melody under the fingers yet, and I ran out of ideas about halfway through the first solo chorus. :(
I forced myself to keep going and had to hunt for the melody when it came back around in the last chorus.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
So here's my day one, high effort - low yield, get in on the ground floor, just feeling out the chords, rough take :

Don't really have the melody under the fingers yet, and I ran out of ideas about halfway through the first solo chorus. :(
I forced myself to keep going and had to hunt for the melody when it came back around in the last chorus.
Nice Tester Brendan.
You lasted far longer than I did.
And you managed to end it nicely.

I just had a run through tester myself.
It's only about half the length of yours as I just ran out of steam.
it may be a little flat too as i manged to tear up the cork when i put my piece on and now my cork has been replaced with bandage tape which was applied a little too generously, so mouthpiece doesn't get on as much as usual.
Anyway, enough of the excuses.
https://app.box.com/s/ry2diiz7zuns5fdcm7a65ms7kemj3b99

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Nice work getting the first take in! Lots of great stuff for a very early take, and can't wait to hear you progress through the month!

A few critical thoughts:-

At this tempo, the head is probably slower than you think! I would spend some time internalising it by singing it over and over with the backing so you get the head fully locked in. I think this is one of the tunes that needs the head to be quite tight with entry/exits, and doing this should really help with getting it really tight. In this take, the final phrase of the A section is always coming in a little late, which results in it being rushed. You can sit back on the whole thing at this tempo and take your time over the runs, but if it's not quite under the fingers yet focussing on starting and finishing tightly will really make the whole thing sound better.

I think you were getting inside the changes well on the first chorus, but (and the opposite to what I've had laid at my feet, I normally get comments around not liking the notes I played!), I didn't really like the phrasing. There seemed to be a fairly long period in both the first couple of choruses where you were playing crotchet - quaver - dotted crotchet phrases, which to me sound a bit stilted. However there was a bit where you were playing around in the penultimate chorus where it really seemed to swing, I think maybe you'd relaxed into a bit at the point, or perhaps weren't as worried about the changes?

Lastly, tonally I like where you're going, but occasionally on the longer notes they thin off a bit, so really focus on keeping the support all the way through every note.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice Tester Brendan.
You lasted far longer than I did.
And you managed to end it nicely.

I just had a run through tester myself.
It's only about half the length of yours as I just ran out of steam.
it may be a little flat too as i manged to tear up the cork when i put my piece on and now my cork has been replaced with bandage tape which was applied a little too generously, so mouthpiece doesn't get on as much as usual.
Anyway, enough of the excuses.
https://app.box.com/s/ry2diiz7zuns5fdcm7a65ms7kemj3b99
Again nice work getting in nice and early! Love the really fat bottom end tone on your bari, especially around 1:10 on the second A section, gives me nice tummy rumbles. I think as you get more time to get into the changes, there will be some really good things to come; a couple of times you got a little out of lock with the swing, but I suspect that's from paying attention to the chords (and there are a few of those on this song) and stumbling around a bit. With more familiarity think that will go quick enough!

Lastly, as with Brendan, I think internalising the melody will pay off dividends; even whilst it's not under the fingers having that internal clock of where the melody is will help you lock those phrases in nicely.

·
7,904 Posts
Again nice work getting in nice and early! Love the really fat bottom end tone on your bari, especially around 1:10 on the second A section, gives me nice tummy rumbles. I think as you get more time to get into the changes, there will be some really good things to come; a couple of times you got a little out of lock with the swing, but I suspect that's from paying attention to the chords (and there are a few of those on this song) and stumbling around a bit. With more familiarity think that will go quick enough!

Lastly, as with Brendan, I think internalising the melody will pay off dividends; even whilst it's not under the fingers having that internal clock of where the melody is will help you lock those phrases in nicely.
Thankyou.
Some great advice here for sure.
I hope to find some time in the next few days to work on his tune some more.
I will definitely focus on the things you mentioned.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Excellent ! I love your tone.
I tried a couple of new things in Audacity this time around, basically aiming for your high production level, but it didn't work out.
Will keep experimenting ...

the final phrase of the A section is always coming in a little late, which results in it being rushed.
Ha! Rushing is in my DNA ! :mrgreen:

There seemed to be a fairly long period in both the first couple of choruses where you were playing crotchet - quaver - dotted crotchet phrases, which to me sound a bit stilted.
I get locked into a rhythm pattern and can't get out .... sounds normal to me !! :bluewink:

Thanks for listening ... could probably cut 2 minutes out of the middle to make it less tortuous. :twisted:
(As it stands, speeding up the Aebersold backing shortened it by about 30 seconds.)

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Love the quote of Softly in the final A section on your first chorus! Beautiful tone as always, and those chops. The outro shout is beautiful too.

And you even managed to make my crappy attempt at a Band in the Box backing work!

·
3,209 Posts
Love the quote of Softly in the final A section on your first chorus! Beautiful tone as always, and those chops. The outro shout is beautiful too.

And you even managed to make my crappy attempt at a Band in the Box backing work!
Thanks so much! I really appreciate that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Means a lot coming from you! It’s the 250bpm play-along in the dropbox link in the OP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's generated using Band In A Box, I recently purchased a copy to try and get more backings for songs I want at the tempos I want.

I'll post up the BIAB files as well so if you have it you can amend as you like. I tried upping to 300bpm but it starts getting a bit weird. There are some other packs available that have faster samples but I haven't bought them yet.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here's my first take for the month with the Jamey Aebersold play along ..... also hoping to have something with a bit more happening accompaniment by the end of the month...

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13762353
I'monly half way through the first chorus and already loving it. The double time phrase just made me audibly "aw yeah" under my breath.

Really like tge outside phrase at the end of the first chorus as well.

Can I ask what mouthpiece you're playing?

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
I'monly half way through the first chorus and already loving it. The double time phrase just made me audibly "aw yeah" under my breath.

Really like tge outside phrase at the end of the first chorus as well.

Can I ask what mouthpiece you're playing?

Thanks! The mouthpiece is a Morgan, the Indiana model.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts