Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! It is my honor to host this month's TOTM and I've chosen Ceora by Lee Morgan. It's a lovely tune with a nice melody that "floats" and some interesting chord progressions/changes as well.

Here is a link to a nice backing track and Bb/Eb charts: ToTM August 22 Ceora

Here are some versions I've enjoyed listening to:

Looking forward to checking out what you all come up with!

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
7,738 Posts
Not often I'm familiar with trumpeters works (outside of Nat Adderley), but this is one I've always loved. I can't wait to actually take some time to learn it! I've added it to the TOTM index here: SOTW TOTM (Tune of the Month) - MAIN THREAD INDEX since...

Looking forward to some stellar takes!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,778 Posts
Nice choice, I love that tune, and Lee Morgan is my top favorite trumpet player (sorry Louis & Clark…). The shifting modulation and motif starting bar 9 of the melody is so much his signature.

·
Registered
669 Posts
This is another new one to me. Should be a challenge and I hope I can come up with something worth posting.

In the meantime ... my old eyes aren't what they once were and the Bb sheet was really blurry when enlarged so I found a higher res and made it a jpg in case anyone else has the same issue with the Bb sheet.
and no, it's not this tiny :ROFLMAO: you have to click on the thumbnail
Font Music Rectangle Sheet music Parallel

EDIT: Yikes! I posted this jpg before I looked carefully. My bad. I'll try to find a similar quality that is the correct Bb version
I think this is a good one:
Font Parallel Writing Handwriting Number

·
Registered
669 Posts
OK ... so this is just a very short first attempt. I'm an "ear player" and have a really hard time reading so "typically" I would listen to recordings and copy what I hear. This time I decided to take advantage of the fact that I've never heard this tune before and force myself to turn the dots on the page into music. I had to work it over and over against a slow metronome until the phrases started to make some musical sense to me. Then I went to the backing track and here's what I came up with so far - no soloing yet because I'm tired and need a nap :ROFLMAO: (getting old ain't for sissies). Anyway ... curious how close I came to what this is supposed to sound like (still haven't listened to any tracks and plan not to until after I record a solo section).
Oh ... and I'm using a clip-on mic just for convenience but I had to really work at playing those low Bb softly because the mic exaggerates it.

https://soundcloud.com/user-460666353%2Fceoratenor

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here’s my take on this one.

https://soundcloud.com/alex-nyman-759436259%2Fceora
Its a bit long but if you make it through to the end you’ll have my eternal thanks 😊

Alex
I don’t even know what to say anymore about your playing. Perfect. Lyrical, your improv actually goes somewhere and “tells a story”. Fun surprise in the last 1/2 that I won’t spoil. I want to play like you some day.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
OK ... so this is just a very short first attempt. I'm an "ear player" and have a really hard time reading so "typically" I would listen to recordings and copy what I hear. This time I decided to take advantage of the fact that I've never heard this tune before and force myself to turn the dots on the page into music. I had to work it over and over against a slow metronome until the phrases started to make some musical sense to me. Then I went to the backing track and here's what I came up with so far - no soloing yet because I'm tired and need a nap :ROFLMAO: (getting old ain't for sissies). Anyway ... curious how close I came to what this is supposed to sound like (still haven't listened to any tracks and plan not to until after I record a solo section).
Oh ... and I'm using a clip-on mic just for convenience but I have to really work at playing a soft low Bb because the mic exaggerates it.
https://soundcloud.com/user-460666353%2Fceora
Your low Bb is just fine where it is, adds a nice thump, don't change it, it's a great accent!

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
  • Love
Reactions: Alex Nyman
1 - 20 of 36 Posts