Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you to Mascio for hosting a great July tune! The duty for August was passed to me, so here goes:

'It Could Happen To You' by James Van Heusen and Johnny Burke. I learned Chet Baker's vocal version of it a few months ago (a well crafted solo), but moved before I really got deeper into the changes. Thanks for this excuse to make it a priority :)

I put the backing at 120bpm in the same key Miles Davis did it in because that's a popular version that most have heard, and I bet a lot of you own already.

https://app.box.com/s/9eflbu3ipssf6z3iiqfdltz4sa0teom9

Have fun everybody!! :headbang:

·
4,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, If anyone's feeling adventurous and wants/ needs more than 2 solo choruses, I can make a longer backing...or you can use the interwebz and find/ make your own.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts

·
4,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Being around and learning from so many people personally connected with Lenny Breau in my home state of Maine, I've known of his magic for a long time. Unfortunately not a lot of recordings out there considering the monster he was, but this is fun. Also, for fans of The Band, This is a young Rick Danko and Levon Helm backing the master.

·
4,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No biggie, as it's not a giant change, but I was just listening to my backing track and in measures 2 and 4 of the A section most of the times through it sounds like they're using a 1/2 step diminished 7 chord to move the baseline chromatically instead of the minor ii/V7 the Real Book had. I'm hearing the first four as:
Fmaj7 / Gb dim7/ G-7 / Ab dim7

They also put a I vi / ii V7 in the last two measures of the form (real book = no vi)

Sorry, now I feel like that guy who handed out inaccurate sheet music at band rehearsal...

·
Self confessed GAS monster! Forum Contributor 2013
5,152 Posts

·
4,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I had never played this tune, this is my first take.
https://youtu.be/bYDJGK8YPjw
Well done, Lionel. I agree with IanSax that this is a nice, simple and tasteful approach. A couple shaky tone moments, but man, you're really exposed when things are stripped down that much.
Hope all the takes to come are as well thought out as yours.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
@swperry1 & @IanSax, thanks for listening, I didn't have the choice, first I tried with 120 bpm, it was too fast for my piano playing.
For the saxophone I had some issues, I don't know why it's been a couple of weeks I can't play, all my reeds are weird, I used flat EQ for the mix (sax) and the electric piano had the best (stereo recording).

1 - 20 of 118 Posts