Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of you guys are completely wasting your time with saxophones. Even Mark VI's today don't have the same corks and the original pads, and if they don't have the original pads, you're not doing the heavy lifting the masters did when they played. You think those guys had a choice on pads? NO. You think they had a choice on resonators? NO. You think they had techs work on their horns? NO. You think they enjoyed themselves when they played? NO. You think they had fun and did what they want because they were adults and could make their own decisions? NO. So you're not allowed to either.

Stop taking shortcuts and trying to make life easier on yourself. You have to go back to the way things were done 50-100 years ago. That's the ONLY way you're going to get good. Throw your saxophones in the garbage RIGHT NOW and go buy a saxophone with original pads from the 1930's through the 1960's like the great masters did many years ago. ONLY THEN will you actually be good. Why? Because I said so.

Don't even GET ME STARTED on modern horns. They're all crappy crap. Because the masters back in the day didn't play on them. So since they didn't, it means they're worthless and only holding you back.

Anyone who doesn't do this is wasting their time. It's not about having fun and getting better at your pace. It's not about sharing joy. It's not about doing whatever you want because it's your hard-earned money and you can do whatever you please. It's about me telling you what to do because of reasons so you can get good.

And eat spinach.

- Saxaholic

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
I think all righthtinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired.
I'm certainly not! And I'm sick and tired of being told that I am.

- Chapman

·
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the thinking righthtinking people think they know, but they don't think, they know.

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I think anyone serious about playing should take up smoking unfiltered Camel cigarettes. And drink prodigiously while you're at it. And if you are a serious jazzer you MUST get a serious heroin habit and get yourself arrested a couple of times. Only then will you have any street cred. Oh, and you gotta make sure you die relatively young, preferably from cirrhosis of the liver or a heroin OD. If you've already lived past 60 you are too late. Throw those horns out.

Addicted

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,134 Posts
I am outraged by this. I feel it is important to be outraged.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I've had more than one sax, as early as the 20's with original pads, and playable. I don't have a point, just wanted to get that in ;)

·
Premium Member
15,495 Posts
Because of this post, I’m going to redo all of my mouthpieces so that they all have very low floors with no baffles and scooped out side walls. It’s clear that people are taking shortcuts with more modern mouthpiece designs. Most of the guys I listened to had to put epoxy in their mouthpieces to get them to sound better, so that’s what I’m going to do with mine.

Bill, thank you for this post.

***By the way, send me your dealers phone number please, thank you. *** lol

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Sounds like someone missed their morning coffee. 😉

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
2,377 Posts
All of you guys are completely wasting your time with saxophones. Even Mark VI's today don't have the same corks and the original pads, and if they don't have the original pads, you're not doing the heavy lifting the masters did when they played. You think those guys had a choice on pads? NO. You think they had a choice on resonators? NO. You think they had techs work on their horns? NO. You think they enjoyed themselves when they played? NO. You think they had fun and did what they want because they were adults and could make their own decisions? NO. So you're not allowed to either.

Stop taking shortcuts and trying to make life easier on yourself. You have to go back to the way things were done 50-100 years ago. That's the ONLY way you're going to get good. Throw your saxophones in the garbage RIGHT NOW and go buy a saxophone with original pads from the 1930's through the 1960's like the great masters did many years ago. ONLY THEN will you actually be good. Why? Because I said so.

Don't even GET ME STARTED on modern horns. They're all crappy crap. Because the masters back in the day didn't play on them. So since they didn't, it means they're worthless and only holding you back.

Anyone who doesn't do this is wasting their time. It's not about having fun and getting better at your pace. It's not about sharing joy. It's not about doing whatever you want because it's your hard-earned money and you can do whatever you please. It's about me telling you what to do because of reasons so you can get good.

And eat spinach.

- Saxaholic
Is this TRUMP?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
On a more heavily moderated forum, I would reply with IBTL :mrgreen:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,124 Posts

You have to go back to the way things were done 50-100 years ago.

And eat spinach.

- Saxaholic
Do I have a choice on pads? NO.
Do I have a choice on resonators? NO.
Do I have techs work on my horns? NO. (There is only one tech that I have easy access to so no plural and I am at his mercy. Sorry, but it is a him - fine tech though)
Do I enjoy myself when I play? NO. (I am self-critical and have to listen to it)
Do I have fun and do what I want because I am adult and can make my own decisions? NO. (Don't even get me started on how little choice there is to decide anything, really)

I love spinach, but I get sick from eating it.:( (will spare you the details)

Now show me the time machine, so that I can go back to a cleaner world, better looks, pretty girls and more time to practice.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
I think anyone serious about playing should take up smoking unfiltered Camel cigarettes. And drink prodigiously while you're at it. And if you are a serious jazzer you MUST get a serious heroin habit and get yourself arrested a couple of times. Only then will you have any street cred. Oh, and you gotta make sure you die relatively young, preferably from cirrhosis of the liver or a heroin OD. If you've already lived past 60 you are too late. Throw those horns out.

Addicted
Yeah sure....I've done all that (except the dying bit) and I'm still only so-so....

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Have you ever seen the nearly keyless clarinet played by the great Anton Stadler? That's the Holy Grail. Boehm is for wimps.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Have you ever seen the nearly keyless clarinet played by the great Anton Stadler? That's the Holy Grail. Boehm is for wimps.
Well ...... Jack Brymer, in his book, more or less states that all those extra keys might take away something from the lightness of the clarinet, and claims that playing a period correct clarinet is an enlightening experience.

·
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do I have a choice on pads? NO.
Do I have a choice on resonators? NO.
Do I have techs work on my horns? NO. (There is only one tech that I have easy access to so no plural and I am at his mercy. Sorry, but it is a him - fine tech though)
Do I enjoy myself when I play? NO. (I am self-critical and have to listen to it)
Do I have fun and do what I want because I am adult and can make my own decisions? NO. (Don't even get me started on how little choice there is to decide anything, really)

I love spinach, but I get sick from eating it.:( (will spare you the details)

Now show me the time machine, so that I can go back to a cleaner world, better looks, pretty girls and more time to practice.
Dave Pollack is working on this for you. He's trying to Make Jazz Fun Again, and the only way to do that is go back in time. This has been documented by historians as the only solution possible.

- Saxaholic

1 - 20 of 49 Posts