Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Lemme frame my question with some context.

I’m about to start producing my own music and have been doing a bunch of research on optimal mics for my setup. The room I have to work with is rather small, at roughly 10 x 10 ft (3 x 3 m) with 2 windows, so I don’t really have high hopes of getting a good room especially with the busy street next to my house. I still intend on doing some form of treatment/proofing, but I feel like getting an hyper-sensitive budget LDC would be ill advised due to all the room noise it’ll pick up.

So, with that out of the way, that brings me to the EV RE20 and the Beyer M88. These are the 2 mice I’ve narrowed down to. I’ve read that the RE20 is a bit more flat/not much unique character while the M88 has a bit of a mid boost. I’m an alto player with a warm and dark sound - essentially like Paul Desmond (or as much like him as anyone could hope for because there’s only one P.D). Is there anyone who has tried both mics on alto that could maybe point me to a direction?

Cheers, and I’ll provide any additional info if needed.

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Here, I'll help you out...

You should pick the Heil PR30.

You'll thank me later.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here, I'll help you out...

You should pick the Heil PR30.

You'll thank me later.
Thanks for the input Justice. Do you prefer the 30 over the 40? Both mics were at the top of my list along with the aforementioned.

I recently tried an RE20 and an M88. Both were good but I ended up preferring the RE20 - to my ears the RE20 it had a more neutral but also more detailed sound. The M88 had more midrange punch and a less open top end.

Have a listen for yourself:

https://soundcloud.com/morph1590%2Fmic-comparison
https://soundcloud.com/morph1590%2Fm88-vs-re20-take-2
Thanks for this Justice! Very valuable info.

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
I own the PR30 and love it. I've only used the PR40 a few times. (I also own a DPA 4099S clip on, and several nice small and large diaphragm condensers. The PR30 ranks up with the best mics I own).

The PR40 has a normal cardioid pick up pattern and might be better for general recording studio use. I bought the PR30 for potential use on stage, and I think the tighter pick up pattern and better off axis rejection of the PR30 is better if you ever want to use it live on a stage ever. The 40, iirc, has a slightly lower frequency range, but for normal saxophone use, even with a baritone, you aren't going to hit the low end roll off of either mic.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I think it's a mistake to rule out a LDC. In a cardiod configuration, they will not pick up any more room noise than a dynamic. In my experience, including a Heil PR40, the condensers sound better. I record in a small room, 10x12, with no treatment (but a bookshelf, rug and couch), but I also use one of those mic shield thingys that go behind the mic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it's a mistake to rule out a LDC. In a cardiod configuration, they will not pick up any more room noise than a dynamic. In my experience, including a Heil PR40, the condensers sound better. I record in a small room, 10x12, with no treatment (but a bookshelf, rug and couch), but I also use one of those mic shield thingys that go behind the mic.
I see - I’ll be testing my friend’s NT1-A pretty soon. I was looking into the new NT1, NT2a, AT4040, and a few others. My budget is around $400, and I’m confined to buying off Amazon (due to a sizable amount of gift card money that I've been intending to use for this purchase.

I just hope with a LDC that ill be able to find a sweet spot between too far away (leading to too much room noise) and too close (too much key clicking, breath, etc). And I'm already super breathy as it is.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,115 Posts
In that price range, I think you're correct to go dynamic. I haven't tried those Heils that JC loves, but they're very highly regarded, I'm sure they're worth looking into.

You can't go wrong with either the RE20 or M88. You could make an entire record with either one. They're versatile, they sound great (if you take the time to learn how to get the most out of them with positioning and gain), and they just work. The RE20 looks more impressive, in case that's a concern. 😁

·
Registered
182 Posts
I should probably add that I may not have done the M88 justice in the recordings above... I think its pick up pattern is narrowerer than the RE20 so is more sensitive to positioning. The RE20 is known for having little proximty effect so maybe is a bit more idiot proof?! (certainly for this idiot)

HeavyWeather posted a nice recording of an M88 a little while back which you could have a listen to.

Good luck!

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,816 Posts
Lots more experienced recorders have already chimed in with more than I can add except this: Why not order more than one and try them out to see what you like working with? Return the other(s).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts