Sax on the Web Forum banner

Which post should win the Topic of the month November, 2009 contest?

• [post=902775]SOTW Blues recording[/post]

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • [post=1276818]Blues in F Improvisation, Please help me out![/post]

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • [post=1267641]Work Ethic and The Importance of having a great teacher![/post]

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • [post=1272990]SOTW November 2009 Tune of the Month - Detour Ahead[/post]

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • [post=1282872]Composers and their "Intentions"[/post]

• [post=87916]Rolled Tone Holes - Are They Better?[/post]

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • [post=1276500]Sax-O-Thon 2009-2010..... IT's ON![/post]

• [post=1277106]Haynes Saxophone Manual[/post]

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • [post=1283149]Selmer Scroll Shank Bari[/post]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Remaining nominations cumulated

Votes: 5 7.4%
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
SOTW Blues recording

I found this post on "SOTW Blues recording" interesting and have nominated it accordingly for "Topic Of The Month November, 2009"

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2010
1,159 Posts
Work Ethic and The Importance of having a great teacher!

I found this post on "Work Ethic and The Importance of having a great teacher!" interesting and have nominated it accordingly for "Topic Of The Month November, 2009"

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
3,204 Posts
Re: Topic of the Month for November, 2009

While the poll appears to be closed, you can actually vote in this poll if you use the instructions in the first post of this thread.
ah-HA! The voting button is the automatic post-and-vote generator. Thx for pointing that out.

I agree that voting should be limited to topics started within that month.

I also noticed that even after I casted a vote, I can still cast another one for other threads. That's a bit unusual for a poll I'd say. It would be logic if every member could only vote one thread.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Respect and homage to a master - Charlie Mariano

I found this post on "Respect and homage to a master - Charlie Mariano" interesting and have nominated it accordingly for "Topic Of The Month November, 2009"

·
Forum Founder
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

While the poll appears to be closed, you can actually vote in this poll if you use the instructions in the first post of this thread.
ah-HA! The voting button is the automatic post-and-vote generator. Thx for pointing that out.

I agree that voting should be limited to topics started within that month.

I also noticed that even after I casted a vote, I can still cast another one for other threads. That's a bit unusual for a poll I'd say. It would be logic if every member could only vote one thread.

Cheers
Learning by doing:
  1. For December 2009 only threads less than 30 days old will qualify.
  2. November 2009 topic winner cannot be nominated again until January 2010.
  3. Now, only one nomination by a member.
  4. Now, only one thread per author to be nominated.

·
Premium Member
13,992 Posts
Rolled Tone Holes - Are They Better?

I found this post on "Rolled Tone Holes - Are They Better?" interesting and have nominated it accordingly for "Topic Of The Month November, 2009"

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
3,292 Posts

The new button placement is tricky. I've accidently hit it twice now, just trying to hit the "reply" button. I'm sure we'll get used to it, but for now....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,241 Posts
SOTW November 2009 Tune of the Month - Detour Ahead

I found this post on "SOTW November 2009 Tune of the Month - Detour Ahead" interesting and have nominated it accordingly for "Topic Of The Month November, 2009"

·
Forum Founder
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
What happened to the poll? :?
Perhaps an error in administering it, I do not know exactly. This utility that was supposed to make a certain function easier has caused me extra work now for several hours. Yet, I am not ready dump it. The famous Finnish "sisu" :)

I will try to reconstruct the nominations shortly.
==========================================
Update:
The polls are now visible again!
Please vote by going to the thread from the link found in this thread.

·
Banned
2,206 Posts
What if we talked about music instead of gear?
If that's the way you feel I am sure there are some jazz-oriented forums that you could divide your time between with this one (I suppose that's the kind of music you're into). I know some of the old hard heads have long ago become bored with the same old "what sax should I buy?" type questions and wanted to turn this into something other than it originally was in recent years (including aborted forays into off-topic and political lounges, etc.), but historically, you have to admit this has always been a gear-driven forum. Just go back and look at the archives from 10 years ago, and 99 percent of the threads are on gear, especially on different brands of vintage and modern horns, with folks getting to talk about the idiosyncracies of their tools with others from around the world for the first time. From that it went to mouthpieces and so on. But the first year or two or threads you will find that people were largely talking about their horns (and those of other members that they coveted and wanted to know more about).

After all, this is a "saxophone" forum, and I think it is a medium that is best suited for discussing and asking questions about saxophones and related accessories--kind of like the "Consumer Reports" for saxes with a searchable index. And I think that learning about music and getting better on your instrument can be accomplished much more effectively than sitting at your computer (i.e. by actually playing it!). And by taking lessons with a real teacher who can provide corrective feedback on the spot. Short of having real-time video lessons on here (something I once suggested), I just don't think this is a medium that is very conducive to mastering an instrument or learning a musical style.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
If that's the way you feel I am sure there are some jazz-oriented forums that you could divide your time between with this one (I suppose that's the kind of music you're into). I know some of the old hard heads have long ago become bored with the same old "what sax should I buy?" type questions and wanted to turn this into something other than it originally was in recent years (including aborted forays into off-topic and political lounges, etc.), but historically, you have to admit this has always been a gear-driven forum. Just go back and look at the archives from 10 years ago, and 99 percent of the threads are on gear, especially on different brands of vintage and modern horns, with folks getting to talk about the idiosyncracies of their tools with others from around the world for the first time. From that it went to mouthpieces and so on. But the first year or two or threads you will find that people were largely talking about their horns (and those of other members that they coveted and wanted to know more about).

After all, this is a "saxophone" forum, and I think it is a medium that is best suited for discussing and asking questions about saxophones and related accessories--kind of like the "Consumer Reports" for saxes with a searchable index. And I think that learning about music and getting better on your instrument can be accomplished much more effectively than sitting at your computer (i.e. by actually playing it!). And by taking lessons with a real teacher who can provide corrective feedback on the spot. Short of having real-time video lessons on here (something I once suggested), I just don't think this is a medium that is very conducive to mastering an instrument or learning a musical style.
With all due respect to the author, this is absolute nonsense. We DID talk about the music more waaaay back.

Your argument is full of holes. The internet forum is nothing more or less than a very good means of communication. Also, I don't belive Matt Otto ( a very acomplished player ) needs your advice on how to learn the instrument and the music.

What Matt was suggesting was tht maybe we could, once in a while, discuss the music more and the gear less.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011-
1,039 Posts

Sorry, didn't mean to offend, point taken.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
3,204 Posts
I want to make a warm call for the Sax-o-thon thread. It's a wonderful initiative from a valuable forum member, HUTMO. He made some kids that couldn't afford gear otherwise, very happy last year. This year, he tries to do the same.

Last year, also quite some members (HUTMO included) went out for busking around christmas, and donated whatever they got from it.

I'd like to honor that initiative, and encourage people to take part in this years action. Somebody has some interesting scores, maybe some members could meet up together.

Just check out the smiles of the boys who got a saxophone last year. They're on the website.

·
Registered
160 Posts

As a journalism grad, I think that those thread most worthy of nominating are those that had the most discernable impact on "changing the world" (at least those of us saxoholics).
A lot of what happens as a result of SOTW interactions doesn't get priced in the marketplace. How you going to tell how much influence a thread about improvisation or private teachers has had?

·
Banned
2,206 Posts

As a journalism grad, I think that those thread most worthy of nominating are those that had the most discernable impact on "changing the world" (at least those of us saxoholics).
A lot of what happens as a result of SOTW interactions doesn't get priced in the marketplace. How you going to tell how much influence a thread about improvisation or private teachers has had?
Oh really, thanks for cluing me in on how things work around here, newbie. ;) And that's why I wouldn't nominate those kinds of threads--unless I had benefited from them personally or could clearly see that others did, too. Because, as you alluded to, the benefits of say, a thread in which someone inquires about a teacher in their area will not show up for years if at all. What if the person quits a year later? What if they never come back on the forum to report on their progress? I guess I prefer to deal in the concrete rather than the unknown and thus prefer to reward the threads that have the most discernible results--either in my own playing (or in a member who demonstrated they learned something new in a relatively short period of time) or in some other aspect of the wider world outside of this little forum--such as the example I previously provided.

Cheers!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just wondering. I know that there are lots of threads with very personal and individualistic effects that wouldn't deserve topic of the month (i.e., all of mine). I was thinking of the more general or philosophical or educational ones probably prompt lots of (new) members to go out and improve themselves. Happy to have the opportunity to interact with you and all the other fantastic people on this site.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.