Sax on the Web Forum banner

Which post should win the Topic of the month November, 2009 contest?

• [post=902775]SOTW Blues recording[/post]

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • [post=1276818]Blues in F Improvisation, Please help me out![/post]

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • [post=1267641]Work Ethic and The Importance of having a great teacher![/post]

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • [post=1272990]SOTW November 2009 Tune of the Month - Detour Ahead[/post]

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • [post=1282872]Composers and their "Intentions"[/post]

• [post=87916]Rolled Tone Holes - Are They Better?[/post]

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • [post=1276500]Sax-O-Thon 2009-2010..... IT's ON![/post]

• [post=1277106]Haynes Saxophone Manual[/post]

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • [post=1283149]Selmer Scroll Shank Bari[/post]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Remaining nominations cumulated

Votes: 5 7.4%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Forum Founder
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Which post should win this Month nomination contest?

Choose from the threads listed throughout the forums, and vote for your favorite post now.

What is Topic Of The Month?
Topic of the Month is a contest that select posts on which we would like the community to commit to as a group and then comment/discuss on them during the course of the selected month. Any listed thread in selected sub-forums is eligible for the Topic of the Month selection. Click the button found in the first post (OP) of the thread:

Please Note, that is next to the Quick reply button, perhaps too close!

What determines a Topic Of Month?
Topic Of Month is based on a simple nomination system. Throughout the selected forums, members with adequate permissions can nominate their favorite topic by clicking on the award nomination button below the post.

The topics with the most nominations during the course of the month are displayed on this thread using the poll feature. At the end of the month, the first three topics with the most nominations are the award winners of the contest.

We are still experimenting/learning the ropes of this feature. Only SOTW members with ten or more posts are permitted to vote in this contest. (Obviously you cannot vote your own thread.)
If you have any questions, suggestions or concerns, feel free to post here.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Haynes Saxophone Manual

I found this post on "Haynes Saxophone Manual" interesting and have nominated it accordingly for "Topic Of The Month November, 2009"

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
SOTW Blues recording

I found this post on "SOTW Blues recording" interesting and have nominated it accordingly for "Topic Of The Month November, 2009"

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
Re: Topic of the Month for November, 2009

While the poll appears to be closed, you can actually vote in this poll if you use the instructions in the first post of this thread.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
4,993 Posts

Good nominees, but shouldn't the "Topic of the month" be, well, you know, a topic from this month rather than one started over a year ago?

·
Banned
2,206 Posts

I'm too busy to look for the "smoking gun" threads at the moment, but If we're nominating threads as far back as 2008, I'd like to nominate those threads in which the benefits of original Otto Links over refaced examples was discussed at length, methinks by members such as Horned Toad and perhaps a couple others.

To me there is no doubt that those discussions on here had what Randall used to call the SOTW Effect in terms of the Link marketplace. I mean, this is one clear case where SOTW had a definite impact on the demand of vintage equipment, because I can remember when refaced Links were all the rage last year on ebay and on here (they seemed to peak in popularity in the summer of '08); but then now we see that everyone wants one that is "all original" and you scarcely even hear the names of the refacers even mentioned much any more--at least not nearly as much as you did a year and a half ago.

As a journalism grad, I think that those thread most worthy of nominating are those that had the most discernable impact on "changing the world" (at least those of us saxoholics).

Does anyone happen to recall the thread I'm thinking of in which Horned Toad (formerly Marin) did a thorough analysis with extensive feedback of the the benefits of original Links over refaced ones? I seem to recall that the thread had a title like "is a refaced Link really a Link anymore?" Again--too busy and/or lazy to look for it right now....

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,169 Posts

I'm too busy to look for the "smoking gun" threads at the moment, but If we're nominating threads as far back as 2008, I'd like to nominate those threads in which the benefits of original Otto Links over refaced examples was discussed at length, methinks by members such as Horned Toad and perhaps a couple others.

To me there is no doubt that those discussions on here had what Randall used to call the SOTW Effect in terms of the Link marketplace. I mean, this is one clear case where SOTW had a definite impact on the demand of vintage equipment, because I can remember when refaced Links were all the rage last year on ebay and on here (they seemed to peak in popularity in the summer of '08); but then now we see that everyone wants one that is "all original" and you scarcely even hear the names of the refacers even mentioned much any more--at least not nearly as much as you did a year and a half ago.

As a journalism grad, I think that those thread most worthy of nominating are those that had the most discernable impact on "changing the world" (at least those of us saxoholics).

Does anyone happen to recall the thread I'm thinking of in which Horned Toad (formerly Marin) did a thorough analysis with extensive feedback of the the benefits of original Links over refaced ones? I seem to recall that the thread had a title like "is a refaced Link really a Link anymore?" Again--too busy and/or lazy to look for it right now....
It might be a coincidence but isn't the Summer of '08 when the economy tanked?:?

·
Banned
2,206 Posts

I think it was more like the fall of '08, but I see your point. However, even in this economy I have still noticed people paying huge amounts for original Links on ebay, and passing over the refaced ones. I have also noticed a definite shift in the ad copy of ebay ads, which seem to all be playing up on "the all original" line, as opposed to pushing those pieces refaced by the latest greatest refacer, like you used to see a lot more. Surely I'm not the only one who has noticed this shift in demand on ebay and ads from 10MFan, etc. In fact, it seems to me where 10M is selling a lot more original Links in 4's and such whereas it seems he used to sell mostly pieces refaced by Powell, et al.

Anyway, I found this post that I recalled on this issue and I nominate it for the Topic of the Month, Nov. 2009:

I think this thread and possibly even this one (and maybe a couple others) had a huge impact on preferences and the market for vintage Links:

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?t=101614&highlight=links+reface+original

I don't know what else other than these kinds of conversations on here--which you have to admit have a large audience--would have caused the shift I saw from the refacing fad of 2007 and '08 to the "all original" fad of 2009. And though I don't discount the economy, refacing is not all that expensive--and is a heck of a lot cheaper than the $1,500 that folks still seem to be willing to plunk down for "all original" Double Rings, even in the current economy.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,241 Posts

Good nominees, but shouldn't the "Topic of the month" be, well, you know, a topic from this month rather than one started over a year ago?
I think that this is a good point and one that should probably be taken into consideration before the polling goes much further............. (IMOVHO)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,188 Posts
Blues in F Improvisation, Please help me out!

I found this post on "Blues in F Improvisation, Please help me out!" interesting and have nominated it accordingly for "Topic Of The Month November, 2009"

·
Registered
166 Posts
Selmer Scroll Shank Bari

I found this post on "Selmer Scroll Shank Bari" interesting and have nominated it accordingly for "Topic Of The Month November, 2009"

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
6,443 Posts
SOTW Blues recording

I found this post on "SOTW Blues recording" interesting and have nominated it accordingly for "Topic Of The Month November, 2009"

Nominated it for this month simply because this was the month that brought me into knowing about the entire post, and I was very intrigued.

·
14,959 Posts
Composers and their "Intentions"

I found this post on "Composers and their "Intentions"" interesting and have nominated it accordingly for "Topic Of The Month November, 2009"

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
4,993 Posts
Composers and their "Intentions"

I found this post on "Composers and their "Intentions"" interesting and have nominated it accordingly for "Topic Of The Month November, 2009"

·
19,061 Posts
Blues in F Improvisation, Please help me out!

I found this post on "Blues in F Improvisation, Please help me out!" interesting and have nominated it accordingly for "Topic Of The Month November, 2009"

·
Forum Founder
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

:lol: good point!
Because this is the first time for the vote I allowed earlier threads, too.
Will tighten the time window for the December 2009 vote.

·
Forum Founder
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: Haynes Saxophone Manual

I guess I'm not completely following with the closed poll :scratch:
I was wondering that, too. This is very much an automated script with some default parameters.

I guess polling will take place nominating new or already nominated threads?
There is room for 10 nominations altogether.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.