Sax on the Web Forum banner

Which post should win the Topic of the month December, 2009 contest?

• [post=1276500]Sax-O-Thon 2009-2010..... IT's ON![/post]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [post=1316493]I don't care what equipment famous players use[/post]

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • [post=1299083]1 mpc/1 month challenge[/post]

• [post=1121985]Useful Information for New Members and Frequently Asked Questions[/post]

• [post=1228055]Review your Mouthpieces!!! (NO COMMENTS)[/post]

• [post=1296449]SOTW December 2009 Tune of the Month - Ceora[/post]

• [post=1310839]Setting the Record Straight on Paypal's Buyer Protection for non-eBay Transactions (eg

• [post=1315980]Just 1 Tenor Mouthpiece[/post]

• [post=1282872]Composers and their "Intentions"[/post]

• Remaining nominations cumulated

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Forum Founder
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which post should win this Month nomination contest?

Choose from the threads listed throughout the forums, and vote for your favorite post now.

What is Topic Of The Month?
Topic of the Month is a contest that select posts on which we would like the community to commit to as a group and then comment/discuss on them during the course of the selected month. Any listed thread in selected sub-forums is eligible for the Topic of the Month selection. Click the button found in the first post (OP) of the thread:

Please Note, that is next to the Quick reply button, perhaps too close!

What determines a Topic Of Month?
Topic Of Month is based on a simple nomination system. Throughout the selected forums, members with adequate permissions can nominate their favorite topic by clicking on the award nomination button below the post.

The topics with the most nominations during the course of the month are displayed on this thread using the poll feature. At the end of the month, the first three topics with the most nominations are the award winners of the contest.

Only SOTW members in good standing with ten or more posts are permitted to vote in this contest.

Past awards - Hall of Fame

If you have any questions, suggestions or concerns, feel free to post here.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,725 Posts
1 mpc/1 month challenge

I found this post on "1 mpc/1 month challenge" interesting and have nominated it accordingly for "Topic Of The Month December, 2009"

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
2,377 Posts
Just this -it seems to me that there should be some sort of point system worked out for each (nominated) topic. For example the topic with the most nominations would be awarded a certain number of points, the n.topic with the most posts during the month in play suggesting popularity would get a certain amount of points, the topic deemed most helpful to other players, etc..then you would total the points received and that would be your topic of the month.

If you'd rather keep it simple that's fine -I just wanted to give an opinion as per your request above. :)

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
RIP Billy James; jazz drummer to Stitt, Jug and so many...

I found this post on "RIP Billy James; jazz drummer to Stitt, Jug and so many..." interesting and have nominated it accordingly for "Topic Of The Month December, 2009"

·
Forum Founder
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just this -it seems to me that there should be some sort of point system worked out for each (nominated) topic. For example the topic with the most nominations would be awarded a certain number of points, the n.topic with the most posts during the month in play suggesting popularity would get a certain amount of points, the topic deemed most helpful to other players, etc..then you would total the points received and that would be your topic of the month.

If you'd rather keep it simple that's fine -I just wanted to give an opinion as per your request above. :)
Dear A. Train:
There is no facility to rate the nominated threads. However they will be visible in the monthly polling threads with number of votes.

On other hand on the top of every thread there is a blue bar with the pull-down menu "Rate Thread". It is not exactly what you asking, but one way to appreciate the topic.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, The official SOTW Little S
5,472 Posts
Sax-O-Thon 2009-2010..... IT's ON!

I found this post on "Sax-O-Thon 2009-2010..... IT's ON!" interesting and have nominated it accordingly for "Topic Of The Month December, 2009"

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,590 Posts
Otto-Link Russian Roulette.

I found this post on "Otto-Link Russian Roulette." interesting and have nominated it accordingly for "Topic Of The Month December, 2009"

·
Registered
681 Posts
1 mpc/1 month challenge

I found this post on "1 mpc/1 month challenge" interesting and have nominated it accordingly for "Topic Of The Month December, 2009"

·
Registered
229 Posts
Sax-O-Thon 2009-2010..... IT's ON!

I found this post on "Sax-O-Thon 2009-2010..... IT's ON!" interesting and have nominated it accordingly for "Topic Of The Month December, 2009"

·
Registered
229 Posts
Re: Sax-O-Thon 2009-2010..... IT's ON!

·
1,596 Posts
1 mpc/1 month challenge

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
2,377 Posts

Dear A. Train:
There is no facility to rate the nominated threads. However they will be visible in the monthly polling threads with number of votes.

On other hand on the top of every thread there is a blue bar with the pull-down menu "Rate Thread". It is not exactly what you asking, but one way to appreciate the topic.
My point was simply that if there is no criteria beyond being nominated then a topic with three posts for the month on it's thread could beat out a topic with ten pages of posts for the month just because it had more nominations. It seems to me like few post would indicate little interest in the topic. But alas I don't want to be a pest so I'll say no more on it.

·
4,241 Posts
I would like to nominate the Ceora thread, because these kind of threads keep reminding us that it is about playing and improving that counts, and learning new important tunes, and from each other, rather than just the gear .......
+1 for crazydaisydoo, i wholeheartedly agree ................................

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Review your Mouthpieces!!! (NO COMMENTS)

I found this post on "Review your Mouthpieces!!! (NO COMMENTS)" interesting and have nominated it accordingly for "Topic Of The Month December, 2009"

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Composers and their "Intentions"

I found this post on "Composers and their "Intentions"" interesting and have nominated it accordingly for "Topic Of The Month December, 2009"

·
Registered
642 Posts
2010 33rd Annual International Saxophone Symposium

I found this post on "2010 33rd Annual International Saxophone Symposium" interesting and have nominated it accordingly for "Topic Of The Month December, 2009"

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.