Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As far as what sounds good, my range ends on a D on alto and a C on soprano, but I can hit up to the D# on soprano and E on alto. Still working on refining the tone before I go higher though. Anybody else want to post where they can go, and better yet where they actually do go? Thanks :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
G on alto is good though, because it is one of the hardest note to hit. Chances are you add your side C key and it will be a G#, on mine that makes it sharp of a G#, but on most horns that works. A is usually 2 and 3 on left hand and if that is flat add the side Bb. A# will vary quite a bit. Best fingering for me is 3 on LH and side C. (all of these with register of course). You should find those all to be easy if you can do a G, then it gets even easier :). But, it isn't just hitting the pitch, it is making it sound like a note, or in the case of Lenny Pickett, a scream. :)

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
F#4 (an octave above high F# key if I had one.) on Bari.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
littlemanbighorn said:
F#4 (an octave above high F# key if I had one.) on Bari.
That's impressive!!!!!!!!Bet you love Hamiet Bluiett!!!!!1

·
Heterodox nonconformist
403 Posts
Consistently, G4 on alto, but I've gone to A4 (or A5 on low A Mark VI altos) before on rare occasion, when the planets and stars were aligned just right. (Yeah, right...) On tenor, A4 is a little more solid. Soprano...let's not go there.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, if I pull out a fingering chart and bite the reed I can hit what I like to call super G, one octave above altissimo G, but it does not sound pretty, and I can't do it with a good embouchure, so I will stay lower until my ebouchure is ready to go higher. And it sounds so nasty. :) I just love those high notes. maybe I should invest in a nino.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
If I take in a lot of mouthpiece, do nothing but bite...I don't even know what note it is it's just a whistle good for making people mad :)

BTW ever put your teeth directly on the reed LOL ;) ;)

·
Registered
451 Posts
I can consistantly get to D4 on alto no problems every time with almost perfect intonation. I can get notes above that by semi-biting (teeth arn't quite on the reed, but are enough to cause some intonation control issues) up to about an octave or two higher, but they arn't consistant.

·
Registered
241 Posts
F above high F on alto - I've gone further but on a normal day that's my regular. and on Tenor its the B above that. I haven't really counted on bari - but I know it gets higher than my alto playing. I tend to not play above a D above high D - as ste1390 said it's hard to really make them sound like notes. But sometimes giving that screaming effect is cool!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Great Bloke.
2,968 Posts
You have to be able to use them like normal range and be able to play lines in this area of the horn. Not just squeals! Try playing the Klose etudes and the like up the octave.

D5 on tenor
G4 on alto
G5 on Bari
G4 on sop.

Check out Earl Bostick on "Up there in Orbit". This is an altissimo lesson and a half!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I mostly play the little ones so,
D4 on sop
G4 on alto, but I only think up to E4 sounds musical, back to work.
Tenor and bari I can hit notes but not with much control or concistancy, so in my book they are not there. This isn't baseball, it needs to be there first time every time.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,404 Posts
I agree with Bootman. I don't even consider an alt note to be in my range unless I am hitting it in smooth licks with proper resolution and relative tuning to the other notes.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Twice I've made it to high G on Alto &Tenor, once to F# on CMel without high F# or Front F

1 - 20 of 168 Posts